my 1989 k1500 cheyenne trans help

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Davisz71, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Davisz71

Davisz71 Full Member

my fienace got me this truck for our anv. ok here we go. Had a manual trans in it. we cannot find the manual. they put a automatic and a different steering colum in it. why they didnt just put another manual back in it i have no clue. but the trans is brand new but i have to shift it on the colum and will not go into drive or overdrive. does the 89 have a trans computer or some kind of controller? it has a 305 tbi in it as well. im going to put another smallblock in it but just trying to make it so she is able to drive it as well as me. anyhelp would be awesome!

2. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

So your saying will not shift to 3rd..or 4th/overdrive? These do not have electronics..but need to know if you can not just shift lever to drive..and od..or will not shift while driving Should have a 700r4 transmission.

3. Davisz71

Davisz71 Full Member

I got told they put a 4l60 in it. But I can go into 1 2 3 but that's it and I still have to do it like on the tree but with no clutch. What trans do u think came in it? Sp283??

4. chevychase

Need to find what is in it? Be hard to say. Is it just a straight shift i,2,3 down ..shift on the column p..r..n..d?. All you may have on this trans is 3 gears..no overdrive? Have no ideal what a sp282 is??Maybe a pic would help? If they installed a 4l60e will need electronics for this.
    Click on the link to identify your transmission if a chevy? Automatic Transmission Identification

5. chevychase

6. Davisz71

Davisz71 Full Member

Its park drive 3 2 1. Or its drive 2 1. And I meant sm465 I believe it came with that. I can get one and a np205 for 250$ is that a good combo with a 350?

7. JTWard

JTWard Full Member

Does it have a T/V cable on the throttle cable bracket ? it won't shift without a proper 'Transmission Valve' cable and be in proper adjustment. I'd say you need a shop who knows what to find and what is needed.

8. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

That's the biggest issue with buying someone else's headache and not knowing exactly what was done. Is there anyway to contact the PO and found out what was put into it? Might be a pain in the hind end but could save you a ton of hassles in the long run. At least if you know what was done exactly it would be easier to find out what is missing/ what you will still need to do to get your rig up and running.

The 60E in my '96 is a 4spd auto (P, R N, OD, 3, 2, 1,). You really need to find out what was installed, or like JT said take it to a X-msn shop usually they can tell you what it is. Might even get lucky enough to have a tech that will be able to tell you what else you need to make her shift right.

9. Davisz71

Davisz71 Full Member

its a good thing that its been a two owner well now three truck. and the origonial owner passed away gave it to his son and they live right behind me and his cousin is my landlord where is live its a small town lol. but he told me that there is a 4l60. Not the 4l60e. im not to good with auto trannys i really dont like them. but is there some pics i can take if things to help yall help me? and if so how do i upload them? And so there are no computers in my 89? so basically it should shift right its just somethin wasnt installed properly? and what manual tranny came in it u think? i have a whole list of like 5 manual trannys that came in it best i have so far is the sm465 does that sound bout right? and it feels like its idk i cant explain it, got power then it feels like something tells it to reduce power its weird.

10. Davisz71

Davisz71 Full Member

Ok its either a 700r4 or a 4l60. So basically all I need to do is tinker with the linkage and whatnot? I should not need any computer to run either correct?