my olds project..

Discussion in 'Other Trucks' started by tpar1220, Sep 13, 2012.

1. tpar1220

tpar1220 Full Member

i had asked chevy chase a question bout my car, he answered as usual but also asked me to put this here. guess someone else may have some advise... or just wanna check it out.

i have had this olds for 28 years now... bought it in texas.. 81 cutlass calais. 48,000 miles.

[​IMG]

i love this car..

[​IMG]

but have had zero motivation to work on it. has been sitting in barn with freshly rebuilt 350 sbc from a truck i had bought new in 88. nothing fancy.. just an rv cam and roller rockers and holly 650 with shorty headers. bolted a 700r4 trans to it... got the shorter drive shaft installed... and has sat for 5 years now pretty much untouched..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i recentlt crawled under it to see what will be involved in getting cross member bolted up... seems some cars will allow you to slide it back far enough and drill new holes... of course i cant be that fortunate. also... i couldn't find the notch on balancer or timing tab on block, so when i fire it up.. how the heck do ya time it?

i have several things i gotta deal with with this since converting olds to chevy. have to extend starter wires as starter is on pass side on chevy and is on drivers side on olds... no biggie. also... alt wires won't work with this newer style alt. can i just splice in a newer plug? got a bunch of outlets on intake that need plugged, but which ones do i need to use... and for what? i know one heater hose goes to water pump, but where does 2nd one hook up? guess it's been to long since i have looked at this thing cuz i can't seem to remember chit.. or i am just retarded.

also... which trans lines are output and return and where do they hook up on rad (top or bottom).

i figured i would catch a 2nd wind and work on it some if i could make some progress some where. but working 6 days a week and ot every day all summer have left me with no time.. but, i just recieved a couple packages up in here..

[​IMG]

my new g force cross member, trans cooler and torque converter lock up kit. if i can get the trans squared away... maybe i could get a little motivated to hear this thing run.

you guys have any suggestions or comments.... lemme have it!

MrMarty51 and chevychase like this.
  2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    That will be a nice ole ride tpar 1220.. hope others chime in. On the timing did you get my message?
    If you need clearer pics or info let me know.

3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

The heater hose goes to the intake and why don't you just go old school remove all the wires and use just what you need oh you will need some for the Trans but I don't know which ones gotta go im going to feed my face. I did the same thing on my 57 F100 from a newer car but my Trans was a FMX older Trans.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  4. tpar1220

tpar1220 Full Member

chevy.. your pics were good, i just need to crawl under there and see if i can locate the mark on balancer... then mark it with some high viz paint.

gmc, i wanna clear all that unused **** out of there, but compared to a modern vehicle... there isn't much under there as is. do you guys know if a can use my floor shifter from my th350 on this 700r4, just not able to use 1st when shifting manually? or do i gotta buy a new one for 4 speed. i believe the one that is in it is a b&m slapstick for 3 speed.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  5. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Auto Banned

Truck Driving... what else?
    I wonder if this Olds ever ran again, or if it's still sitting in that barn... nice ride, I always liked Oldsmobiles, couldn't beat 'em for comfort. Owned a Ninety-Eight and a Cutlass Ciera, and drove a friend's Delta 88 for a long time, all vehicles as comfortable as could be. That 98 used to haul six troops around, no problem, as long as ya put the fattest and skinniest troops in the same row of seats, LOL. Whenever I visit a junkyard (domestic side, I mean), I like seeing the Oldsmobile rigs... brings back some good memories of better times, cruising to wilderness areas in style, instead of driving some p.o.s. foreign sardine can with wheels. :no: Nothing like rolling into J. Tree with all your climbing & camping gear in the back seat of the 98, the trunk so full of firewood that the Olds looked like a low rider, LOL. :rofl: :woot: :help: And if ya got stuck in deep sand out in the desert??? Well, YA GOT STUCK IN STYLE, WITH COOLERS FULL OF FOOD & ICE-COLD BEER!!! :applaud: :no: :bow: Took ya HOURS to dig yourselves out, but a good time was had by all, LOL. :rofl:

6. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Best off to just freight that Olds. over to Me, Your problems solved. :woot:
    The shifter will sort of work, it will be a feel sort of a thing, I`d think.
    When extending, or shortening wires and making splices, be sure to stagger the splices to prevent a big lump, that can be problematic, in the wire-harness and loom.
    Here is a picture story of how I splice them wires, makesum for a clean and compact splice. Be sure to check for sharp pointed solder or wires after soldering and also, do not forget to shove the heat shrink over the wire before going through all of the splicing procedures, then going OH, sunny-gun !!!!! What wuz I thinkingk !!!!!

Wire ends and strippers.

w1.jpg

I the wires is corroded, use a sharp instrument to scrape them clean. Do not use any flux as it is acidic and will cause corrosion.

w2.jpg

shove the ends together in such fashion.

w3.jpg

After soldering, inspect to be sure there is no pointy things to punch through the heat shrink or tape.

w4.jpg

2 people like this.
  7. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Auto Banned

No dice, Mr. Marty, I got first dibs on that Olds, LOL. WTF, I'll offer to swap a beachfront condo for the car... the condo doesn't belong to me, but I'll swap it anyway, just before I mash the motor in the Olds and burn outta here, 10-4? :rofl:

MrMarty51 likes this.
  8. tpar1220

tpar1220 Full Member

ha ha... you guys crack me up. and i always have intentions of getting it running every summer. this summer is no exception as i plan to. as of yet though... still sittin covered in dust and not put a wrench on it since i started this thread! if i could just get started and see some progress, maybe i would gain some motivation.

for now though... i just walk past it every day. but it's not summer yet! lol...

MrMarty51 likes this.
  9. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Auto Banned

Memorial Day Weekend, the unofficial start o' summer... how's that Olds project doing??? :rofl: Man, I could've used an Olds on that last road trip, I drove nearly 450 miles when it was all said and done, and the Camry ain't no limo, LOL. I still want that car... thing is awesome.

10. tpar1220

tpar1220 Full Member

been a busy spring and start to summer with bike trips nearly every weekend, but that has eased up a bit. as of this post.... still not touched it.. maybe if i just plan on one small thing at a time... and get something completed i could get the ball rolling. when i was younger i would just dive in! guaranteed i could at least hear it run in one days time.

bad thing about summer for me is endless 12hr shifts and saturday's. last thing i wanna do on only day off is be out in that hot *** barn sweatin over that olds. excuses... excuses. but now that you bring this thread back to life i will make an effort to at least get starter wiring done sunday.

one thing at a time.....

MrMarty51 and Railsplitter like this.