Need Chevy/Ford comparison advice

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by sofasurferlinux, Sep 18, 2016.

1. sofasurferlinux

Looking at Sierras and Silverados. Thats what I have been driving since 1995. You can't beat them. Now I need to replace my truck. My biggest requirements are no rust and better gas milage. I need an extended cab (preferrably with doors in the second row) and a 5.3 liter engine (best gas milage with power). For 20 years I have been getting 13 mpg. ENOUGH! I have decided that my price range of $8000-$13000 will get me into the 07, 08 pr 09 (??) range. 07 is a little less miles per gallon than the 08 and 09 but more likely to be affordable in "no rust" condition. I have noticed that this year range is also less likely to have airbag issues. I do not want an airbag exploding shards into my face.

I would also like to consider a Ford but I get mixed opinions on them. I also think they are more pron to airbag issues (am I right on this?).

So my question is, is my line of thinking fairly accurate or am I off base? How to Chevy/GMCs compare to Fords, safety, quality and MPG-wise, in your opinion? Any other thought will be much appreciated.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

think that your price range will not get you in the year range in good shape

3. poncho62

poncho62 Full Member

semi retired
    Home Page:
    Around here, the 8-13,000 would get you in the 07-09 range....I guess it depends on what options you are looking for too. although most trucks come pretty much loaded these days.
    I also think that you should be able to get better than 13 mpg .....I regularly get 16-17 with my 97 Sierra.
    Also, I think you are dwelling too much on airbags.......lol

jkeaton likes this.
  4. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Make sure the airbag recall has been done. lol