Noise in reverse and clunk while acceleration

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by uslmra, Mar 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. uslmra

uslmra New Member

95 c1500 short bed single cab 305. 130,000 miles
    There is a loud squeak that is not constant but squeak.squeak.squeak about 3 times per turn of rear wheels cannot figure out where it’s coming from or what it is. It started out only doing it in reverse but wouldnt do it while rolling backward in neutral or forward. Now it is slowly starting to do it while going forward. I have checked all breaks and deferential fluid and greased the drive shaft U-joints. My exhaust is loud so I can’t figure out the exact location of the noise. Any ideas? Could it have anything to do with the transmission? Is it possible to grease the axel? Iv ran out of ideas
    Now that i greased U-joints i had to take the rear end of the drive shaft to get to the grease nipples and ever since then the truck now jumps and makes a clunk right before i accelerate.
    Thanks for any help!

2. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

welcome to the forum. could be something in the front suspension for clunking noise.

3. uslmra

uslmra New Member

it started right after working on the drive shaft joints so might have been my fault?

Also when i greased the u joints the rear one was a little rusty and bone dry so i loaded it up with grease and still makes noise!

4. BernieB

BernieB Senior Member

Replace that U-joint. If it was rusty and dry the bearings in it are shot and all the grease did was allow it to slop around easier.

5. oneluckypops

oneluckypops Senior Member

yeppers yeppers

6. 436'd skylark

436'd skylark Senior Member

That type of squeaking is a u-joint..

7. ChevMan92

ChevMan92 Senior Member

yeah def. a u-joint. mine did the same thing. replaced them and no more squeak