Not truck related but in GM car

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by dirtrider73068, Dec 30, 2016.

1. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Ok I have my 03 bonneville, I am going to replace the mass air flow sensor since I have ahd to keep it disconeccted for it run, since then the engine light is on. I know autozone will not remove codes and don't want to pay out to rent the reader to spend 30 seconds in the parking lot removing the engine code. A guy at work rents out a bay to do auto work was going to have him remove the code yesterday but when got off he wasn't there and was not going to wait around I wanted to get home.

From what I read its either remove battery post which I do not have the unlock code for the radio and looks like its PIA to get it, or remove all the ECM fuses to delete to code. But tried this on my truck and that didn't work and somewhere power was still in the ECM so had to remove the battery.

I want to remove the code out of the system I know after some key cycles the light goes off but the code is still stored, not sure once that happens if it goes back to default program or still runs with code set. I need deleted to know if the problem will be fixed once replace the sensor. At 130 bucks for it I want to be sure its fixed.

I hate these new vehicles all the computer controlled crap and theft locks is a PIA. Also what are the chances a code was not set in the radio is still the factory code would be in the car somewhere? I have the owners book somewhere may be packed up in storage I hope.

2. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    remove the battery post is all i can think of, what is the unlock code for the radio? never heard of that.

3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    The radio code is what most newer cars and trucks have now, and some radios are vin locked to the vehicle, prevents somebody stealing the radio, if it loses power or is disconnected it goes into loc mode, and you as owner have a set code to imput to unlock it. But since I go this care used I do not if PO had set a code or let alone what the factory code would be. There is a long proccess to pull the radio serial number out then call a 1-800 number punch a dealer code number then give your radio serial number then it spits outs a dealer code to unlock the radio.

But my issue with it all this factory radio in this car has a mind of its own, won't save right preset when you try to it picks another station to save, will change radio station sometimes once the ignition is shut off will start back up on a different radio station, and can't really set the bass or treble or do a station search as the numbers bounce around say like they won't go 1 though 6 it will go 1, 2, 4, 2, and so on till you get what you want. Not sure if its the radio or something else very exspensive that needs to be reflashed or replaced. So I just deal with it and hope for the best.

I would would really like to chuck the factory radio and install a jvc unit but then have to buy a stupid 100 dollar wire harness to keep the warning chimes or steering wheel controls, since its all tied to the radio. Wonderful builds by the auto makers, why I love my truck simple basic and easy to do what I want to it.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

buy a cheap code reader from hf and do it,

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Cheapest on from HF is 100 bucks.

6. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    for $15 or $20 you can buy a bluetooth adapter to plug in the port. $5 buys an app on the android phone and you can read and clear codes
    I also bought a code reader off amazon for $35 that reads and clears codes

7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    You know I remember either months back or last year reading something about this, there is even a adapter to plug in that will read perimeters as well through your phone and well as your laptop. But a giuy at work that rents out a bay has a reader computer, I can wait till next week, or if wanted to go back into town to autozone rent the reader go out in parking lot spend 30 seconds clear the code then walk back in and get my money back. I am just trying to do this the cheapest easy way so when I do start driving it to work and around will see what effect its going to have. Considering the closest town is 11 miles one way, another is 30 miles one way. So more or less right now I am in the boondocks so nothing is close by.

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

9. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    It must have come down on price since I last looked them up.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

i would just disconnect the battery
    if you need it,
    ow to Unlock Your Chevy or GMC Radio Without Paying a Dime
    Chevy and GMC vehicles both feature Theftlock radios which render the stereo inoperable to would-be thieves. The downside of the Theftlock system is that if your battery dies or becomes disconnected, you’ll need to enter the radio code to deactivate the Theftlock system.

You don’t need to special tools or to pay to unlock your Theftlock protected radio. Here are the simple and easy steps to unlock your Chevy or GMC radio.

[​IMG]
    Before You Start
    You’ll need a pen and paper. Be aware that the Theftlock system only allows you 15 seconds to complete each step.

How to Unlock a Chevy Radio
    Step 1: Start the vehicle and turn on the radio.

Step 2: Press and hold preset numbers 2 and 3 until a three digit code appears on the radio display. Write this code down.

Step 3: Press the AM/FM button. Your radio will display a second three digit code. Write the second code down. You will now have a six digit code.

Step 4: Call the Chevy Radio Code phone line at 1-800-537-5140.

Step 4: Enter 106010 followed by the # key to direct you to the radio code retrieval system.

Step 5: Enter the six digit code you retrieved in steps 2 and 3 followed by the * key. They must be in order. You will be given a four digit radio code. Write down the radio code.

Step 6: Start your vehicle and turn on the radio. Using the Minute and Hour buttons, enter in the four digit radio code to your stereo system. Press the AM/FM button to unlock your stereo.

How to Unlock a GM Radio
    Step 1: Start the vehicle and turn on the radio. The radio will display “LOC” indicating the Theftlock system is activated.

Step 2: Press and hold preset buttons 1 and 4 for ten seconds. (If you don’t have a fourth preset button, press and hold presets 2 and 3.) The radio will display a three digit number. Write this number down.

Step 3: Press the AM/FM button. Your radio will display a second three digit code. Write the second code down. You will now have a six digit code.

Step 4: Contact your local GM Dealer and give them the six digit code. They will give you a four digit radio code.

Many dealers will give you your radio code for free, while others may charge a small fee. If your dealer is charging a larger fee, consider calling another dealer or doing a Google search for sites offering GMC Radio codes. They usually charge a small (around $10) fee.

Step 5: Start your vehicle and turn on the radio. Press the Hour button on the radio until the first two number of the code appear. Next, press the Minute button until the last two numbers of the code are displayed. Once all four digits appear, press the AM/FM button to unlock your stereo. The display will read “SEC” indicating you have successfully unlocked your radio and it is fully operational.

If radio display reads “INOP” while the vehicle is on, too many incorrect radio codes have been entered. To remove “INOP” from your display and unlock your radio, you must leave the key in the On position for one hour. Once you’ve retrieved your radio unlock code, write it down for future use. Your radio code will not change and having it handy will save from going from the radio code retrieval process again.