Oil Contamination Catch Magnets

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by cferry7, Dec 5, 2016.

1. cferry7

cferry7 Member

Hello -

Looking for suggestions recommendations on adding Oil Filter, Transmission Pan, and Differential Case Magnets.
    I see " FilterMag " sells a variety of these magnets.

Suggestions ?
    Thanks!
    cferry7

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Never used one.

3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I see all kinds of those things, tranny maganets that wrap around the line, or oil filter magants that wrap around the filter and trap it in the filter when change a new oil filter on swap over the magnet. Magnets to wrap aroudn the fuel line to get better mileage, snake oil parts, never got one but do laugh when I see them.

Really if you are starting to get alot of metal shavings and more so into the bronze shavings your motor is looking at a rebuild anyway, when you see bronze shavings in the engine oil.

jkeaton likes this.
  4. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    the only time I have ever actually used magnets are in race motors that I expect to get 20-30 minutes on a set of main bearings, also in the trans pan

5. poncho62

poncho62 Full Member

semi retired
    Home Page:
    Magnets will only attract magnetic materials (steel, iron).......Bearings are not magnetic

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

sounds more like switch smoke! :htruck:

7. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

8. hatzie

hatzie Full Member

#8 hatzie, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    The crank, Block, Rings, and many other moving parts are made of Iron. Iron is one of the wear metals that Blackstone labs tests for.
    Every little bit helps. Just because it doesn't attract babbit, copper, and aluminum doesn't mean it's completely useless.

You don't need the pretty packaging from filtermag. You can simply attach a handful of inexpensive rare earth bar magnets around the outside of the filter can. I've cut filters open that I used 10-15 Neodymium bar magnets on. The iron sludge left on the can is stuff I don't want circulating with the lube.

I use real Magnefine filters in my Transmission return lines (not the China made knockoff garbage). They are a real 25 micron filter along with a big 300°F rated ring magnet. Similar to the Allison and Saturn trans filter and magnet but made to be installed inline with the 3/8" transmission cooler line rather than an easier to service OEM spin on filter.
    The 110 micron transmission fluid pickup strainer isn't a filter even tho the manufacturers call them filters. My trans pan has a drain plug. I change the magnefine at every engine oil change and I drain and re-fill the trans fluid in the pan every three engine oil changes. With a 25micron filter in the return line there's no reason to change the strainer or drop the pan.BTW the trans in question was the original "fragile" 4T65E-HD transaxle attached to an LS4 5.3L V8 in a 2007 Impala SS with 285,000 miles that I bouught with just over 20,000 on the clock. My 2009 has the same setup with 21,000 miles now and I expect to get the same long service life as my 2007 gave me.
    FYI... The polymer magnets in the trans pan of the 3L, 4L, 3T & 4T series transmissions are not effective at operating temp. There's a GM TSB on replacing them with better high temp magnets... the TSB says to do this only with a transmission fluid service so the public doesn't get wise to the fact that they used cheapo magnets.