Oil pressure gauge light

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by Troy, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Troy

Troy New Member

So I decided this would be an easy enough task with little working knowledge on vehicles. turns out it wasnt as easy as i thought. in order to get to the oil pressure sending unit you have to remove the distributor from its place to get to it. i struggled trying to get the distributor off so i sort of gave up on the idea and tried to reclip and button it back up to how it was before.
    I tried to start my truck, however it wont start now and i have a check engine light on now.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

what are you working on?
    is it seated properly in the block?..
    .if it was raised high enough it may now be 1 tooth off

MikeG, gmctrucks and kbrown11 like this.
  3. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    Did you have to unplug any electrical connectors? Maybe the coil connector isn't plugged or seated all the way.

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  4. Troy

Troy New Member

I am trying to replace my oil pressure sending unit because my check guage light came on and the oil pressure guage was going back and forth between 0 and 30. i youtubed a video of how to replace the sending unit and i got everything taken off to get to it minus my distributor. im having issues trying to get that off. i bought a distributor wrench to get in the tight space but im not having any luck trying to get the bolt off. so i put everything back together so i could take my truck to a buddies house but now the check engine light is on and it wont turn over (it wants to) but wont. i double checked that all of the plugs were still in place and the clips on the distributor were re-attached. i put my air filter back together and buttoned it all back up. i started with a truck that would start before i tried to fix the sending unit, now im without a truck that starts

5. Troy

Troy New Member

i did get the two connectors back on a "snapped" back into the distributor

kbrown11 likes this.
  6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Check if your on top dead center

MikeG and kbrown11 like this.
  7. Troy

Troy New Member

I was never able to get the distributor pulled out.

8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    The check light will come on with just the key on or when you first start it after the ecm does it check the liht goes off it has to start and run for this to happen otherwise the light is on when the key is on or when you are trying to start it.

Make sure its getting spark and fuel. Make double sure everything is connected where its suppose to be, some connectors may not go where they need to and still plug in. IIRC on the distrib the ignition module has two connections and iirc one for the pick up coil that is inside the distrib so should be 3 connections that what gets the ecm signal and sends signal to fire the coil. Make sure nothing else got unplugged.

To get the bolt out on mine I used a one end wrench adn found a old one adn think cut it in have to reach, don't give much in leverage. That bolt does not have to be real tight just good and snug enough to keep the distrib from moving when you gas on it. Keep checking there is something not plugged in or plugged into the wrong spot.

MikeG, gmctrucks and kbrown11 like this.
  9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

what are you working on meant, year make model engine

gmctrucks and kbrown11 like this.
  10. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I know but if it’s one tooth off your going to have to set it back on timing as the video let’s you know and I’m thinking you have just a regular 5.7 V/8 but we don’t know...

kbrown11 likes this.