Old coolant solidified?

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by Maars_, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Maars_

Maars_ New Member

#1 Maars_, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Greetings... I have a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT that's been sitting for somewhere around 4 years. I'm looking to get it running again and when I went to check the coolant it appears to have solidified. Poking at it with a rod it has approximately 0 give to it. I can't find almost anything about this on the web.. Is there any sort of chemical solution that can break it down? I know how to do a regular coolant flush but that requires well.. regular coolant. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking out the hose connecting the reservoir to the radiator to see if perhaps in isn't solid all the way through and is somewhere I can clear it out.

Also what could've caused this? Is there an air leak of some sort or is it just because it's been sitting for so long? Even when it was run previously I don't believe it was maintained well.

EDIT: Someone from another source said that they believe this is could be a result of orange and green coolants being mixed.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    It could be dex cool and green coolant are not suppose to be mixed they are not compatiable. I do not know of a way to get it out unless if its warmed up or trying running straight water through it to dilute to get it to come out. Never heard of coolant getting solid unless not a proper ratio and freezing up. I do know and heard straight coolant with a little water can gel up but don't know how true that is.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  3. Maars_

Maars_ New Member

I'll definitely try water through it tomorrow, maybe warm water in case its frozen? Also will running the engine with essentially no coolant hurt in order to warm it up hurt anything? Assuming I don't let the engine overheat of course

MrMarty51 likes this.
  4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Well I would pour water on it see what effect it has. If looks like its going to help with flushing it out then put the water hose in it and let it run. Maybe take heater hose off and let it flush it out.

If running the engine watch it carefully see if temp gauge moves at all when it starts warming up if it then its reading the temp.

Also what kind of air temps do you are you having in your area? Just let it get to hot when running it maybe idle it about 5 to 10 minutes and feel of the hoses see how hot it feels.

I had a 82 chevy one winter I didn't have a proper mixture of coolant and it slushed up not completely froze but enough end result was a busted rad hose a few miles from nowhere. I got lucky.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  5. Maars_

Maars_ New Member

Not too bad, 20 or so at night and maybe 50 in the daytime. It was nearly 60 when I went to check today though. Shouldn't be anything cold enough to freeze it completely. Unless perhaps it's just behaving strangely because it's old antifreeze? Anyway I'll definitely try water tomorrow, if that doesn't work I don't know what I'll do.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

pull the upper and lower radiator hose off and see it there is liquid...if not pull t-stat, reinstall housing, stuff a hose in it and see if it flows, if it does start engine and give it a good flush, back flush heater core and heater hoses

MrMarty51 likes this.
  7. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

If the coolant is in fact solid then be sure to remove the fan belt before starting the engine. It might take out the coolant pump too.
    Welcome to the forum Maaars.

8. Maars_

Maars_ New Member

Went out today and found that the solidified coolant was only in the tank and a little of the tube, I unscrewed the plug in the bottom of the radiator out and low and behold, nasty old liquid started pouring out. Drained it into a bucket and dumped some water into the pressure cap, all seems to be clear. I was able to de-gunk the tube and tank, goin to buy some new antifreeze tomorrow. Thanks for all the help everyone I really appreciate it <3

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

i would get some flush also, pull t-stat, flush it, then give it a good rinsing