Overdrive slipping....

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by HawgHunter, Mar 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. HawgHunter

HawgHunter Full Member

Well, as the title states, my overdrive is slipping....

It's a 97 C1500 with the 5.7 vortec. The fluid looked good when I changed it (and the filter) last month. But, as I'm driving down the Hwy at cruizing speed, my trans will slip back and forth in and out of overdrive????

When I bought it from my brother-in-law he said he had just had the trans rebuilt a few months before. So, maybe a bad rebuild?

I've also done a search on here and read that it could be some switch....but their problems differed a bit from mine....any help is appreciated:D

2. NonGoggleGuy

NonGoggleGuy Senior Member

What tranny is it? Also, when it slips, do you lose the speedometer?

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

Is it slipping in and out of overdrive or lockup? drive it down the road at about 55 and lightly hold the brake and see if it stops, push on the brake only hard enough to disengage the cruise if it was on

4. HawgHunter

HawgHunter Full Member

To be honest, I don't know how to go about finding out what tranny it is.:blush:

I don't lose the speedometer thought. My RPM's jump up and down though.

5. mudseeker

mudseeker Senior Member

the trans is a 4L60E and i would have to guess you are haveing a lockup problem. good possibility the converter didn't get replaced with the rebuild and the friction plate inside is toast.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. HawgHunter

HawgHunter Full Member

Do you think that replacing just the friction plate would fix the problem, or just prolong it from happening again for a while?

7. mudseeker

mudseeker Senior Member

friction plate is in the converter. whole converter would have to replaced if that's the problem.

8. HawgHunter

HawgHunter Full Member

I'll have to get out and do that test when my oldest daughter decides to get up.:no:

By running at 55 while slitly applying the brakes, what will this tell me if the problem does stop....?

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

that it's torque converter lockup and not overdrive kicking in and out, should see less rpm diff. You could also change between drive and overdrive to help diagnose it

10. HawgHunter

HawgHunter Full Member

Still haven't went out and tested it yet due to the rain....but I thought of something else that may be helpful....once the tranny warms up the slipping seems to go away.