Roll Bar, Roll cage or both?

Discussion in '4x4 trucks / off road' started by Baha, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Baha

Baha Full Member

So far, 2 weeks research and consultation are wasted at the fabrication shop and back to drawing board! here is why.....

started with the idea to fit a bed roll bar on my Silverado (2011 reg cab) for safety and not for looks, so the after market accessories option was immediately discarded.

The first option -naturally- is a rally cars fabrication shop and offering was an FIA compliant cage -in cab- which was also discarded because we'll have to cut through the dash, cancel left and right AC vents and move fuse box, wires etc...., tooo extreme for me, at least for now :p

so, back to bed roll bar fabrication, and suggested that the roll bar will suffice BUT for on road only and "may sink in soft sand and roof front side may collapse" which is actually a valid point;

so decided to do an exo cage around the cab and bolted down to the chassis and to be attached to the bed roll bar from top.
    sounded like a good idea, but as work progressed, the technician today argued that it is not a good idea since the cab cage is fixed on the frame and the bed bar will have 4 points fixed on the body and the truck has a lot of body flix between the can and the bed that will break the bar or the connection points.

not so sure, but I tend to agree especially that - in my mind - these trucks has a flexi body twist which gives an advantage on sharp drops on side cresting, ditches etc..

in all cases, I'm doing the bed bar (4 points bolt with X crossing), but my dilemma is about the cab cage because I feel that the set up if not connected to the roll bar with only 4 points with no option for x crossing might be week and risky to may cause more damage that protection!

any ideas or suggestions on the matter?

2 people like this.
  2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Keep it on 4 wheels. Problem solved

1 person likes this.
  3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    I have no ideal ..Khalil but we love to see picks when done. If anyone on this forum would know be Goodkill click here

1 person likes this.
  4. Baha

Baha Full Member

it's not like I wanna use the cage, surly I hope never have to try it :)
    but that is the challenge and some unfortunate times, gravity wins.

2 people like this.
  5. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

It is true that frames flex and it is easier to see this happen between the bed and the cab. A certain amount of frame flex is good. If you were to install a cage or bar that mounted in the cab and in the bed area you would lose some of that flex but also put some stress on the cage.

Wouldn't a bull bar in front and a roll bar in the bed (or a single roll bar in the cab behind the seats) keep the cab from crumpling too much if the vehicle did a roll over? Even a full cage and roll bar would not prevent body damage in the event of a roll over incident.

Another option is to buy a tank. Might find one pretty cheap over there....:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  6. Baha

Baha Full Member

A well built roll bar alone will help on on-road incident, but if you are playing in the sand (here is a glance on how it is https://youtu.be/FfUrBWQjK0U ) the single bar will sink and chances that cab front side may crumple badly towards the back ( risk is not only side to side, but also front to back ) which is why need support in front above windshield,

A single bar inside the cab may work if we can have it supported with 4 point (2 at the bottom and 2 at the seat belt point) good point, will see the technician thoughts about it considering there is not much space to work with inside.

it is good option to have, but need to decide between water tank or extra fuel tank; yet I don't see the relevance to the topic :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. Baha

Baha Full Member

design is finished and first order of business, replace fitted thin brackets with 8 mm brackets, will be bolted on the frame as base for cage bars

IMG_5650.jpg

1 person likes this.
  8. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Add some rubber mounting to the frame, make them tough enough to sustain the worst case scenario but, flexible enough for frame to body wiggle.
    Also, bore holes through the bed and mount to the frame direct, using rubberized mountings, eliminating the body to frame motion but, only having to deal with the flex of the frame which will not be as great as the body to frame flexing..

1 person likes this.
  9. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    If there is a chance of going wheels up or even possible barrel rolling, I'd go roll cage. Or if it's affordable, exterior cage. Better safe than sorry.

2 people like this.
  10. Baha

Baha Full Member

Updates (bit overdue)
    job was done with the last agreed set up i.e. 3" 4mm bed bar (as per Oil & Gas industrial standards) and cabin exo cage that didn't satisfy the technicians because I didn't allow them to extend it around the fender (to be as street legal as possible) and with no time to examine the end product, I received the truck and hit the road directly to the desert for the long waited " DESNAV" challenge, (my team scored 4th over 33 teams by the way :rolleyes:

IMG_5730.jpg IMG_5731.jpg

where I found out that it was a BIG mistake, it was more dangerous blocking visibility that I was thinking "it is called roll cage coz it will get you rolled :) not to mention the annoying noise with the cage wiggling like .......... obviously only 4 points does not work!! but the side guard did a fantastic job as a side step an supporting the truck on side cresting.

so... first thing I did next day was removing the cage, keeping the side steps and the bed bar (happy with it overall) and now waiting the LED order to arrive for installation. IMG_5837[1].jpg