Something new something Old

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by smokybandit, Nov 25, 2016.

1. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    I came aross a 36' living space rv that measure 38' bumper to kingpin. having trouble pin pointing down the year it is due to the maker went belly up. Best I can figure is that it is between 1978 and 1985. Think metal beams, metal guard under the floor on the road side. Metal roof. Heck the buggar is in better shape than 2008's I was looking at and it was free. Going to make this thread a document of how I remodel/remake the rv. I do plan on replacing the old fiberglass siding with V5 roofing metal. 20161123_074352.jpg

This is what I meant about V5 roofing.
    prod-5v.jpg
    This rv once finished will be hooked up to my truck for those long fishing trips to the coast or lakes.

MikeG, kbrown11 and MrMarty51 like this.
  2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Nice find. Very exciting.
    I wanna watch every step.
    :btruck::applaud::htruck::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JTWard likes this.
  3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Can't beat free, whats the inside look like? Before you move it check those tires and the axle bearings.

kbrown11 likes this.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

i would clean and paint the metal that is on there, v5 does not have enough contours to sustain going up and down the road, all the time
    might look into the lifetime liquid roof material too

kbrown11 likes this.
  5. JTWard

JTWard Full Member

I'm retired.
    I live very close to the Delaware border with S.E.
    Oh, MrMarty51 is just being sarcastic, Ya know, I'm a little on the conservative slope, But from Free to up, is all good. You could do a lot with this, Really ? So long as it don't involve going into Manhattan on the BWQ @ anytime, all good. And lets look again at the going in price ?

6. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    UPDATE:

found these gems on craigslist. Guy needed help moving his rv 10 miles but didn't have any money. So I bartered with him. Cleaned it some added oil and hit the cylinders with wd40. pressure test showed 110psi in both.

20161130_132847.jpg rightside.jpg

7. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    Those are new tires and rims thanks to the sold donor rv.
    Inside is in great shape, A bit heavy on the early 80's theme with reader lights in the living room and bedroom.
    Plan on painting over most of the dark wood panels inside. Dang thing has a wine glass rack in it....

8. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    #8 smokybandit, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    I have built trailers before with 5V panels. last one is 6 going on 7 years without any leaks or buckling. When I build of modify something, I don't go for looks.

On a side note I made some new friends that run a corvette restore/modify shop in Seguin tx. Got to see what a $25,000 engine looks like. So much chrome.

9. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    For those who wanted to see the inside, here you go. Still finishing up cleaning it out

20161130_140405.jpg 20161130_140429.jpg 20161130_140447.jpg 20161130_140508.jpg 20161130_140658.jpg 20161130_140531.jpg

10. JTWard

JTWard Full Member

I'm retired.
    I live very close to the Delaware border with S.E.
    I know you might get some flak, But I'm really positive about this. I'd just right now concentrate on the trailers wheels and tires/suspension/brakes before towing too far, but looking at the inside (It's Texas, make sure your not the only one in there ! Finding a rattlesnake could really take the pleasant glow off a day ). But besides that, I'd put it on stands and just take out the clutter, vacuum it and then air it out and let it sit for a few weeks and decide about the interior. RV's furniture is special and totally unlike the stuff you have in your home. Now you can refinish it, modernize it and or modify it. The overhead cabinets are always special, as this is a storage space as well. Heck, since it's fall, you might want to spend your efforts with the exterior and making it water and as airtight as possible. Really, considering what you have spent so far it's all good. If a guy walked up and said "I'll give you $10.000 for it !" that just like a free $10.000 that walked up and said "Hi, I'm yours "