Spark plug wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Detailer054, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Detailer054

Detailer054 Full Member

Hello
    I have a 1977 Chevy dump truck I am having trouble with the plug wires being in the right order,I am not sure of the engine size i tryed wiring it for a 350 but it is still kicking back when trying to start,I had done a tune up on it and before that it was running Ok so i believe so i am thinking it is either a 262,265,or 267 CID I have tried to find something online with a wiring diagram but no luck,The engine in the truck has been changed so i have no idea what it is for sure.
    Any help please
    Thank you
    Larry:confused:

2. 436'd skylark

436'd skylark Senior Member

you can wire like any other sbc, they all have the same firing order, 18436572..

3. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

If you are running just about any chevy V8, the firing order is still 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2.
    Did you remove the distributor at all.
    Could you have started your first wire in the wrong spot on the cap? Could be too advanced by being one position off of the dist. cap.

4. Detailer054

Detailer054 Full Member

Hello
    No i didn't remove the distributor at all but i am not sure if the number one wire is on the distributor cap in the right order,The truck cranks over fine but when it fires i am getting kick back,How would i find out what one is the number one post on the distributor cap.
    Thank you for your help
    Larry

5. 436'd skylark

take off the cap, and bring the motor to TDC. there is a mark on the harmonic balancer, and a timing tab sticking of the timing chain cover. line the balancer up to the "0" degree mark. then your rotor will either be pointing at the number 1, or the number 6 post on the cap. if its completly opposite of where you think the #1 post was, then the rotor is likley pointing towards the number 6 post.

it sounds like you have them all advanced a post. the rotor spins clockwise on a small block chevy, so move try moving all the wires one position clockwise.

6. 99silverado

99silverado Full Member

Number One on the distrobutor should point thward the driver side headlight. That's just a rule of thumb to give you a place to start.

7. 436'd skylark

thats not a reliable method. the distributor can be stabbed in any direction as long as the oil pump drive seats. number one can be any post. no such thing as "being off a tooth"..

75K30 likes this.
  8. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

Good point Joe.

9. o3shortbed

o3shortbed Senior Member

just seing what a quote does