That Darned Heater Hose!

Discussion in 'Nissan Truck Forum' started by Avian, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Avian

Avian Full Member

What is the easiest way to replace the heater hose on a 2000 Frontier with a 2.4L engine that connects to the back of the engine? Tat connection looks mighty daunting to get to!

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    There probably is no easy way short of pulling the engine out. Just take your time and hope you have flexible arms.

3 people like this.
  3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Might need a special disconnect tool..when searching search ford also find better results..click here for nissan frontier forum.

2 people like this.
  4. Avian

Avian Full Member

Well.... after a good meal, I put on my thinking cap and revisited the vehicle. I jacked it up and removed the right front wheel/tire assembly. The inner splash guard flap was long gone. I shone a bright flashlight and saw clearly the hose connection just above the starter in the engine block. I was able to remove the factory clamp using a very long 1/4" extension with 8mm socket. A pry type large screwdriver got the hose off the fitting. There were many hoses, lines, pipes, cables that prevented me from getting my hand on the hose from that vantage point... so I got a stool and was able to pull the hose (previously disconnected from the heater core) out. Putting in the new hose required a bit of double jointed finger and wrist action, but, I used a dab of liquid hand soap to enhance my success to getting it on.... and that seemed to work. Then, I had to use that long extension in conjunction with the long prying screwdriver to get the clamp into it's position and to tighten it. Overall, it was a tough job, but the satisfaction of getting it done was great! Thanks to all for their inputs!

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Most times if replacing hose cut length wise down the hose then open up the cut line hose comes right no prying. Most coolant hoses overtime and heat glue onto fittings.

3 people like this.
  6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Glad you are a Gitter Done guy..thanks for posting back your dilemma and fix
    Avian

2 people like this.
  7. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

HA, YES, Another story of success.
    Several heat and cooling cycles then, remove tire/wheel, get out extension and socket and, giver another snugging, do not want no hoses jumping off from connectors whilst buzzing down the freeway. :no: :help: :rofl:

2 people like this.
  8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

had that happen on a 2.5 in an 86 celebrity

2 people like this.
  9. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

I use a slight amount of dielectric grease on the hose, makes them slide onto the fittings a lot better but, a feller better be right onit, hose could slide off if not re-tightened.

1 person likes this.
  10. Avian

Avian Full Member

I'd have never considered using dielectric grease that way. I used a dab of dishwashing liquid. It acts as an excellect lubricant and it becomes inert as a lubricant after it gets hot and/or hot, alcohol based coolant hits it. Been doing it that way for years, and haven't had one come off yet.

1 person likes this.