transmission or transfer case?

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by carl rhyne, Dec 10, 2016.

1. carl rhyne

carl rhyne New Member

2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 4x4. with 241k miles

Hello so I'm trying to figure out if it was my transmission or transfer case that went out last night. it has been making some odd noises lately and when going into and out of gear the drive shaft will move and pop once in gear, the rear end was making noises so I swapped it out and seemed to fix things. now a few weeks later I started getting a vibration at speeds when on the gas pedal and would stop once letting off.
    last night I was slowing down to get on the on ramp and load bang and felt like something broke. I get to the side of the road and won't move at all. when I shift from gear to gear it makes a loud bang and you can feel it move the truck. I can still kinda feel gears changing and the speedo goes up to 10 mph also when going from park or reverse to drive. so does that sound like transmission ?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

did you look underneath?

3. poncho62

poncho62 Full Member

semi retired
    Home Page:
    When you are saying changing gear to gear....is that changing gears in the trans or the transfer case?
    Off the top of my head, I am thinking something broke in the trans.....

4. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

If the speedometer moves I would guess the rear end has failed AGAIN. I say this not knowing how the speedometer drive works on a 2004 Dodge. It would be easy to diagnose transmission/ transfer case OR rear end, if the driveshaft turns and the truck doesn't move the rear end has failed.

Did you engage the 4 wheel drive to see if the truck would move?