Unexplainable Alternator Voltage issues

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by NeiselDewb, Oct 26, 2016.

1. NeiselDewb

NeiselDewb New Member

I'm having an issue with my alternator, and I don't know exactly how to explain it..so there's a video of it. I am experiencing symptoms of ac noise leakage while driving. Any ideas? I'm not a voltage expert, but is this a "closed loop" situation? I'm getting massive ac noise differences based on what I'm grounding to..and I don't exactly know how to start working on this.

It's worth noting that this is a new alternator from Nation's, a seemingly reputable alternator manufacturer..and all voltage is within spec, as long as I ground to the battery? I'm at a loss here.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

#2 gmctrucks, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    I remember some other member asked this question many of us chimed in maybe do a search for the post I'm crashing out.

Welcome new member and Howdy from Texas.

Sorry I was totally wrong I was thinking about something else my bad but do a search on Google you might find something good luck.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  3. NeiselDewb

NeiselDewb New Member

I wish I had any idea of how to actually search for such a specialized situation. I feel like it has to do with intricate electricity situations, and I don't know how to get started finding an explanation :\

MrMarty51 likes this.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

use a jumper cable for neg bat to frame and engine ...see if it improves

gmctrucks and MrMarty51 like this.
  5. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Hello Neisel, Welcome to the forum.
    Try checking the voltage of the alternator output with the meter on the A/C scale, If there is voltage reading then, that means that there is an issue with the diodes.An alternator can still charge with a bad diode but it will cause some bad symptoms.
    Check Your battery cables, especially the ground cables. Remove the cable from the battery, be sure that it is shiny clean, even peel back the insulator on the + cable to be sure there is not corrosion built up back in there, Use baking soda and water to clean them if there is corrosion present. always remove the neg. cable first.
    Remove the cable from the engines block and be sure that it too is bright and shiny. replace the cables if they are suspect of being faulty.
    As suggested, try using the jumper wire or cable from the engine to the battery for testing and also from the engine to the frame.
    If there is no grounding strap from the body to the battery or to not engine then make one up and install it.
    Please post back with Your findings.

6. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Yes, check all of the grounds and battery cables.
    Also, check the alternators output on the AC scale. if You get a reading on the AC setting then there is a problem with the diodes in the alternator.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

wonder if that is what he was doing with the meter....could not hear what he was saying and could not read the meter as he changed it