Urgent!! truck not starting!!!

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by blue_1500, Oct 16, 2009.

1. blue_1500

blue_1500 Member

two days ago when i went to leave the hardware store my truck would not start. It would roll over strong as it always does but it seemed like it wasn't getting any spark/fuel to get it running. I opened the hood and jiggled some wiring around and tried once more, and like the flick of a switch it just started without hesitation. It definitly seemed like there was a loose connection somewhere but i drove home hoping it wouldn't occur again....
    Well this morning it happened again, but this time it just wont fire, no matter how much i jiggle the wires :( . I took out a spark plug and i tested it for spark and it appears that it isnt getting any spark while the engine is rolling over. im very scared of electrical problems and am kinda new to owning a vehicle so i was wondering if there was a common problem with the distributor or some wiring that comes loose sometimes that's not easy to see? The engine runs smooth and never ran rough after it started at the hardware store, which i think means that the coil/spark plugs are still good.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

What wires did you move around and what year truck and engine is this truck? We need more input now don't start replacing parts thinking that's it hang out and wait for answers.
    GMC

3. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

got to go with GMC on this one. which wires did you move the first time to get it to crank?? had a problem similiar to this once. turned out the coil wire broke inside the insulation and was not visually hurt. once i tried to remove the wire, it fell to pieces.

4. blue_1500

blue_1500 Member

I played around with the volt meter last night and found that it was acually the pink wire from my ignition switch to the coil that had come loose. I didnt reach back and jiggle those wires the first time but i guess it was just a bad connection. thanks for the replies, I feel a little more confident in my diagnosis now :)

5. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I'm glad you fixed it and thanks for letting us know what it was we all learned something today.