What is the best engine for a 2000 to 2010 full size pick-up

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by Erie, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Erie

Erie Member

I am very sorry for posting this so many times but I did not where to post it.

I do not know if this belongs here or not, if it does not belong here you may move it where it belongs

I am looking to buy a 2000 to 2010 Full Size Pick-Up and would like to know which engine is the best 6 cyl engine that has the best track record of the less amount of trouble and repairs?

If you could tell me which engine is the best performance in Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC and Toyota?

Which engine will get 300,000 miles and is solid as a rock trouble free.

Do you feel that there are very solid Full Size Pick-Up out there in these years ?

I keep all my vesicles in top running conduction.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Why a V6 ? A V8 will get about the same mileage on fuel, maybe even a tad better.
    Chevrolet or GMC would be My first choice. I am not sure of what engines are used in the 2000 to 2010 year range.
    I do know that the GMs used a 6.0 liter in those year ranges and they did have some issues and I`m not sure about the economy of those engines. If there is one that uses the 350 V8 then that`d be the way for Me.

3. Erie

Erie Member

I was not sure about a V-8 I would say that most likely be the way to go.
    So if there is any one out there that would know which engine would be this best V-8 in these trucks.

I would say that any engine has their draw backs but over the years there is always one that has the less amount of trouble and comes out to be the best engine and out preforms all the rest less break downs long life and all around the best engine.
    Between Ford, Chevy and Ram which one has the best track record?

MrMarty51 likes this.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

nothing is perfect if life, :bawling:accept it!...pull up your panties....now go buy what you like :woot::woot::applaud::rofl:

5. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    What is your intended use of the vehicle? That would be part of the equation in determining what engine to get. IMO, a V6 has no place in a full size truck. Stick to a smaller truck (S-10, Ranger, etc) if you want a V6 truck.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  6. Erie

Erie Member

To haul mulch and other things that the homeowner needs are.
    NO really heavy hauling everyday just on occasions.
    I need a bigger truck than a Ranger or S-10.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  7. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    If you are looking at V6's simply for mileage gains, they are not there. Engines are only as good as the maintenance performed on them. I don't think any manufacturer has a huge advantage over the other. It's all about how well the engine (and truck) have been maintained.

leolkfrm and MrMarty51 like this.
  8. Erie

Erie Member

With that said and I do agree with you to a point, I know three friends that have or had Chevy trucks with the same engine in them and when they got a certain amount of miles on them the values were NO longer round they were oval and if I am right it was either 1999 or 2000 6 cylinder engine and one of them had his own Maintenance Shoe the he took care of his trucks and cars, the other 2 the same, so it was the engine that was bad. I will agree with you when you say a V-8 is your best engine but they too have bad engines so this leads me to this question who makes the best V-8 engine FORD , CHEVY, or DODGE in the years I am looking for?

9. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Back in the 90s GM's v6 and the 5.7 v8 were 1 yes 1 mpg difference. I could not in any way convince my dad of this. He always bought a half ton truck with a v6 saying what you are gas savings. Its not there. And he wanted to haul and pull heavy stuff stock trailers boats amd that v6 struggled everytime. Now in todays tolerencea and tech v6 do get a boost in power but is it enough to haul what a v8 can handle with ease? There is not a good enough saving in mpg to put a v6 in a truck just the truck its self tranny rear ends is going to take most your mileage.

Gm trucks from 200 and up are think it was 4.8 v8 don't think its made anymore was just a v6 with two more cylinders as the gm v6 was a 4.3. Still worthless. 5.0 v8 then the 5.3 which I think is the 327 gm is bringig back. And lastly the monster 6.0 which find in the HD tru ks and is a gass sucker. The 5.3 gm motor will do everything you want get decent mileage. Far as going 300k miles thats all on taking care of it.

Honest no matter what truck you get get a v8 its worth it. Just watch the ford triton v8 that had issues with spark plugs blowing out the heads and stripping threads when you changed them.

I have a 94 gm 5.7 v8 and its never let me down runs like top and always starts and get average about 12 to 14 of I go easy. But I like to hear my flowmaster roar so tend to have a heavy foot.

10. Erie

Erie Member

So what you are telling me is to get a 5.3 in the Chevy 1/2 ton and I will be very happy with it.
    Not to change the subject comparing the Chevy with the Ford F-150 do they compare equally?
    I am ask this on the Chevy Forum to get your comments about the two with the same engine or near the same engine.

I don't know anything about the Dodge Ram or how they compare with the Chevy or Ford.
    Like I said earlier I don't know anything about trucks and there engines.