Wipers not working, blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by DamianK, Jan 20, 2011.

1. DamianK

DamianK Full Member

My wipers stopped working and when I replace the fuse it blows immediately when turning the key on....

2. DamianK

DamianK Full Member

Started after wipers wouldn't go back down all the way due to snow and ice.....they kept trying but it eventually blew the fuse

3. Dash

Dash Senior Member

What model and year is your truck? Stalling an electric motor will often cause it to heat up. If it gets too hot, the epoxy insulation on the motor windings will start to melt and the electricity will just across windings, i.e. short circuit. Short circuiting almost always causes high current which blows the fuse. Only solution is to replace the motor.

4. Cryoman

Cryoman Full Member

Testing for a short

Probablt a little bit late but generally speaking a direct short is the cause. Test from input terminals to motor casing for continuity...if you get continuity its a direct short you mifhgt also take the assmebly apart some of these wiper set ups have circuit boards in them...I had one circuit board crack on a soldered joint and bam it would not work until I re-soldered the cracked solder joint...fixed the circuit board and worked like a champ...

Get a multi meter and begin testing the wiper motor.