Z71 History

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by smokensteve, May 10, 2007.

1. smokensteve

smokensteve Senior Member

Can any one tell me when the first Z71 package became available and what does the full package consist of?

2. mrjohnwayne

mrjohnwayne Full Member

88 was when it became available. What the package consists of i'm not entirey sure.

3. clpfiste

clpfiste Full Member

Z-71s get skid plates that the 4x4s dont have, like the diff. cover. larger diameter shocks ussually, and i think at some point a limited slip, but my 91 4x4 doesnt have it

4. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

It was marketed in 1988 as an off-road package that included a limited slip diff, Bilstein shocks, skid plates, and that nifty sticker that said Z-71. This was an option code that lasted until 98. It then began to evolve into its own model, and not just an off-road suspension package. In 2000 even the Tahoe could be purchased as a Z-71, even the 2wd ones. These Z-71's had two tone seats, 5 spoke wheels, color coded bumpers, fog lights, oh yeah, that cute little badge that says "Z-71".
    Well most everyone thinks in order to have anything worth buying has to have some sort of option code stuck on the side, so you will now find all of the trucks, burbs, avalanche, and Tahoes with the available badge.
    Marketing genius! It all started with a little option code stuck on the side of a car Z-28.......
    Difficult to drive around and not see a G.M vehicle without an option badge displaying something. ZR2, Z06, Z71, Z28, heak I am just glad that back in 70, they decided to stick "454 SS" on the side of the Chevelle instead of
    Z-15! Something about 454 SS, that sounds so much better than the actual option code, Z-15....

5. smokensteve

was there any type of engine change?

6. 03chevy

03chevy Senior Member

the only engine change is it has a differant computer chip too.and thats it.

7. smokensteve

thanks for info everyone!!

8. 436'd skylark

436'd skylark Senior Member

Man, that is one of my rants.. Annoys me to no end. When the **** did they stop giving cars names, just letter and number combos.. Drives me nuts. always loved calling Z28 clones Z29s...

9. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

I can undertsand where this is comming from, and sometimes adding the extra badge does make the vehicle appealing. Like my Zr2, it may be a marketing ploy, but it is different, and has the equipment I wanted. And the Z06 Corvette does have options too. But I understand where 75K30 was comming from by saying they are cool to see. But from the past my favorite is the Olds 442! Just because it meant something. 4-Speed, 4-Barrel, 2-wheel drive. Cool stuff. Some modern day cars still carry numbers with meaning, but I agree, the syndicated ones do get old.

10. 03chevy

03chevy Senior Member

hey junior 442 is 4speed and 4barrel and duel exhaust not 2wd. i love the old cars nothing better than a 454ss