1979 ford Truck dash lights don't work!

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by jacobsford, Nov 13, 2012.

1. jacobsford

jacobsford Member

The dash lights on my 1979 ford F250 do not work. I have tried a different light switch, checked the bulbs and they are good. All of the other lights, turn signals, brake light etc work. Any ideas?

2. batty1214

batty1214 Full Member

Mine Mechanic(tire guy)
    I had a short in my harness that caused my dashlights to not work in my 78 ford. good luck, they can be a pain.

3. jacobsford

jacobsford Member

Any ideas where to start looking?

4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Did you check fuses? this dash has a printed circuit board /plastic with copper strips. Try twisting the bulbs back ,and forth see if they work.
    Maybe the bulbs are blown ..they just twist out. [​IMG]The headlamp switch has a dimmer inside it for the dash lamps. Turn the switch on the headlamp switch counterclockwise untill the dome lamp turns on, and then turn the dome lamp off, but don't turn the switch all the way back clockwise. Turn the parking lamps on then check again.

Check for power at the Fuse panel using a test lamp with the parking lamps on. Power to both sides of the fuse, or just one? None?

If power to one side of the fuse, but not the other, replace the fuse. Glass fuses can look good be bad

If no power to either side of the fuse, check the Light Blue/Red stripe wire coming out of the headlamp switch for power with the parking lamps on. If power, you have a break in the wire to the fuse panel.

If no power to the Light blue/red stripe wire at the headlamp switch connector, replace the switch.

5. jacobsford

jacobsford Member

When i pull the light switch to turn the lights on it blows the fuse for the instrament cluster but it only blows the fuse when i turn the lights on otherwise the fuse is fine.

6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Check wiring from switch to fuse box..hots will be red ,and orange..not touching./grounding out. Here is a diagram you will see light switch circuit
    if all wiring checks out maybe the switch.Can check with a electrical meter.continuity. Just study the diagram you will see red wire going to fuses .
    Wish i could help more ...welcome to the forum. [​IMG]

7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Short cut...try this at the switch start disconnecting the wires one at a time ..or circuits at a time.
    Turn switch on see which blows the fuse. then check those wires for ground./short/touching somwhere
    You will see by colors what they go to in diagram.

8. batty1214

batty1214 Full Member

Mine Mechanic(tire guy)
    What chevy said...

9. jacobsford

jacobsford Member

ok i got that problem fixed and it works great but now i have run into another problem. what i have done is set a 1979 lariet cab on a 76 custom chasis the 79 had dual tanks and my 76 only had one i plugged everything in and the only problem i am down to is my fuel gauge don't work anybody got any sugestions or thoughts??????

10. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Hmmm maybe swap the harness and fuel gauge .instrument cluster. Find what wires run the gauge splice single plug in.