1988 D21 V6 A. I. R. system

Discussion in 'Nissan Truck Forum' started by stuvw2mny, Aug 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. stuvw2mny

stuvw2mny Full Member

I recently aquired an apparently rare Nissan pickup - a 1988 extra cab with a V6 and automatic transmission. It was apparently bought new by a woman in Minnesota and was loaded with all the extras. It still runs great at approx 121000 miles. The problem is that someone in Minnesota removed the A.I.R. components from the left front fender which probably prevents me from getting through emissions testing. I haven't tried, yet as I don't want them to have a record of the car condition.

As I understand the AIR system injects air into the exhaust to help the cat converter perform properly during engine warmup, but isn't needed once an engine is warm. Es verdad?

Can anyone help me to understand this issue and obtain parts? I am concerned that even if I find parts there is another reason the originals were removed and new parts won't solve the reason parts were removed.

E. testing is now mostly a "racket" since over 90 % of all cars initially pass the inspection, but once a "law": is passed it is virtually never rescinded (even though we no longer drive horse buggies (Tongue In Cheek)), so we continue to play the game..

2. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I live in Texas and once a vehicle is 25 years old it doesn’t have to get the emissions test so since my truck is a 1993 I’m not going to have to take the test I wish you luck and I hope this helps!

3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Your best bet is look up and see what parts are missing and go to a salvage yard and pull them to put them back on.

4. stuvw2mny

stuvw2mny Full Member

Thanks for reply. Already tried that, but 1988 V6s are rare , as are most Nissans in salvage yards around here. Also tried Rock Auto. Next question is what years is the exact 1988 part also used on? For instance, will a 1990 part fit on the 88? Am also trying to learn exactly what this XG(%B#@ does, so can pursue an alternate route (not likely to find, but have to try). I am pretty sure the 4 cylinder parts will not work, much as I wish they would. Am also concerned about why the parts were taken off, and whether new parts will cure the issue. I think the real solution will be to get to another state.

5. stuvw2mny

stuvw2mny Full Member

Thanks for reply. Yours is probably the "best" fix. I am working on that exact issue. Texas is very high on my possibilities ( so it's time for you to throw up barbed wire fences at the border), so the 25 year information is helpful. I know Texas has a $50 first-time registration fee and yearly vehicle safety? inspections. Are these stringent or reasonable - for older (1988 Nissan and my 1964 collector car) vehicles?

6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

You won’t have no problems with your rides here and on what Texas wants for plates and just to check if you don’t need brakes and tires we can’t get out of that but like I wrote this year is the first year for no emissions which is ok with me it’s going to keep some money in my pocket.

7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Here in Oklahoma they ditched vehicle inspections long time ago, was a pain for us the shops didn't get much money for doing it, so the state said do away with them.