1991 Chevy silverado will not turn over .. Start/fire please help

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Lyndon, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Lyndon

Lyndon New Member

1991 Chevy silverado 1500 series 5.7l automatic W/T will not start .. I drove it to school parked and cameback to my truck went to start .. And nothing , not even turning over .. Thought it was the battery but everything electrical is working , tried to replace two switches today , the neutral switch and another one near my fuse box and the steering wheel .. Had to unbolt it to get to these parts , still no firing or even a click .. I turn the key and there's just silence

2. JTWard

JTWard Full Member

I'm retired.
    I live very close to the Delaware border with S.E.
    It won't start,

1. Turn the headlights on, and turn the key, If the lights go out you have a bad battery. 2. If they stay on you have a short of non ground open circuit.

2 people like this.
  3. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Jack of all trades, master of none
    What made you think that the switches were the issue? Check all your connections for tightness and make sure they are clean. Have you tried to shift it into neutral and turned the key to try and start? Do you have a multimeter? Need to use either a test light or a voltmeter and confirm 12v at starter as well as the rest of the circuit. Check your fuses and see if any have blown.

Could be be a number of reasons. Only way to narrow the list is eliminate them. Let us know what you find.

1 person likes this.
  4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    You need a electrical meter ..set to DC volts touch black probe to ground..touch red to yellow wire on safety switch with key on to start..see if you have power there.
    No power there probably ignition switch..check fuses also.
    Then check at the purple see if you have power.. if power there check for power on the purple wire at starter.
    Will need to get someone to turn key to crank position on the purple wire checks..if you have power at the purple at starter in crank position ..then starter solenoid is bad,. See if it will start in neutral also.
    Also i have a 91 this happened to me..all was good...found the ground wire from battery negative to have a bad connection.
    Had good lights ..all worked starter would not engage...i could jump the starter it worked.
    I cleaned ground good where it connects at engine/frame all worked good..truck started.
    Check these out report back ..if you have power on safety switch at purple,.. and not starter will go further on diagnostic on this.

5. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

In a no crank situation like this, I like to work backwards so to speak. Start right at the starter. If you have a remote starter switch, hook it up directly on the the solenoid mounted on top of the starter and see if the engine will spin. If you don't have a remote starter switch, crawl under the truck and bridge the large terminal on the solenoid mounted on top of the starter to the appropriate small terminal. Be careful doing this. This will bypass a lot of stuff and tell you if the starter is operational.

If the starter still won't spin, check grounds and cables for being clean and good before moving on to the battery and the starter itself. If the starter does spin work backwards.

1 person likes this.
  6. JTWard

JTWard Full Member

I'm retired.
    I live very close to the Delaware border with S.E.
    PS:
    If your going to be laying under the truck. . . Chock the wheels so you don't get run or driven over.

3 people like this.
  7. Don SC

Don SC Senior Member

I agree with chevychase- check your ground wire for a corroded or loose ground. There are more than one ground- the engine is grounded to frame with a braided flat cable and there may be another ground near the headlight close to the battery.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lyndon

Lyndon New Member

Thanks for the suggestions and help, I'm going to be looking at the truck this weekend and the advice you guys gave me makes a lot of sense and put me in the right direction , me and my dad are going to troubleshoot it until it fires up .. So the help is much appreciated again .. I see you guys post a lot on here so I trust you know what you are talking about. I'm going to see in the grounds are corroded first and then go out from there .. The worst I think it could be is the solenoid and I haven't tried replacing that yet because it's so hard to access on the 91' 1500 series .. I don't have enough arc or leverage to jump the car from underneath so I can't tell you that I tried successfully .. But I have ALL power and it just won't even register I'm turning the key ..

9. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Be sure You have power through both fuseable links too.