1993 4WD V6 3.0L overheating problems

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by Mike33, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Mike33

Mike33 Member

I've owned this truck for about 6 months and last week it overheated on me and I don't know why. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of my imagination. I've change the thermostat (because it was cheap and easy) but that didn't do it. I replaced the radiator because I noticed some anitfreeze beading along the crimps along the edge as the engine warmed up but that didn't do it. The fan and fan clutch seem to be working fine and from what I can tell the water pump seems to be working (although, admittedly I didn't go in and take it out to inspect it because it is a real pain to get to on this truck. Last night when I started the truck up and let it get up to temp it started to overheat in less than 10 minutes. When I went around and felt the hoses the upper hose was nice and warm but the lower hose was not nearly as warm but I know fluid was flowing in through it because the clamp on the lower hose was not in a good position and antifreeze was leaking so I tightened that hose and clamp up. Also, when I run the engine with the radiator cap off alot of steam comes out of the radiator and the antifreeze bubbles over almost spewing at times and at other times the fluid level drops as it should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Both upper and lower hoses on the rad should heat up the same if not there could be a flow issue, if its not flowing right then its not going to cool right and the rad helps cool it off with airflow and well as dissipate heat, it could be the water pump is bad, when the rad cap is off can you tell if the coolant is flowing or not? Does it overheat or try to over heat if you drive it? If it cools down when you are driving then its not getting good airflow over the rad, Or the pump is getting bad or weak.

gmctrucks and Mike33 like this.
  3. Mike33

Mike33 Member

It is hard to tell if the coolant is flowing because I’m nervous to stick my head over it to look down because it keeps spouting antifreeze out. When I feel the upper hose it feels like there is flow and it seems like there is flow in the lower because of the leak I observed but I don’t know if that is just because it is the bottom hose.
    It does overheat both when I am driving and parked.
    I was afraid the issue was going to be the water pump but I was really hoping it wasn’t because the way it is set up it is pretty hard to get to and I have to remove the timing belt.

4. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

sales associate
    Yup one of those internal water pumps. If it does it both sitting and driving then its pointing to water flow issues. Fits and giggles remove Tstat see if it worsens or gets better. If it gets better then the water is not flowing enough through the rad to cool it off and more than likely water pump.

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

if the radiator has air bubbles, its a head gasket

6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Mr. Leo he said when the water goes down the bubbles go away so I’m thinking the head gaskets are ok but one might be bad if it got super hot.

Mike 33 check to see if it’s blowing air towards the engine maybe the fan is (backwards) and check for signs of oil around the shaft of the fan clutch another thing did you put on the rubber oring on the thermostat now on my truck I put on a high flow water pump and it does move the water much better oh buy a new rad cap as well.

Mike33 was it running just fine before this problem and what was the temperature before she started heating up?????????

Mike this stuff really does work my brother has I forgot what year and it has the NorthStar engine which are trash after 100k miles and sure enough at 103k it blew a gasket it was doing just like the car on the video well now after adding the Blue Devil the car is running just fine it’s been three months so far.

Mike don’t give up on it we will get that truck right.

7. Mike33

Mike33 Member

Yes, it was running just fine prior to this. The gauge was always right in the middle. On my way to work I pulled off the freeway and it overheated. I limped it into a parking lot. The head gasket was replaced by the woman I bought it from within the past 2 years.
    Air is blowing toward the engine. There is no leaking at all around the water pump. There is no play in the fan. My thermostat and radiator are brand new.
    I think there is an issue with my heater core cause all of a sudden it won’t blow hot air in the cab but I don’t think that would cause the overheating issue would it?

I’m kind of at a loss.

8. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

sales associate
    No there is a by pass for heater core, so if it gets plugged up it don't overpressure and bust open or like this cause a overheat. There has to be something wrong with the circulation of the coolant, I wonder if it devloped a air pocket, try this drain the rad to below the Tstat housing it should be half full, then remove the Tstat leave it off and fill the rad up till you see coolant come into the Tstat area slowly fill it till it just about spills out, reinstall the Tstat finish filling up with coolant, leave rad cap off start it, the coolant level should drop top it off, leave cap of rad and wait till Tstat open when it does it drop a little more and should see what flowing from the heater core in the heater hose to rad if it does then it should be flowing correctly. Top it off, and run see if it overheats if it does again the it wasn't a air pocket its got to a flow issue somewhere.

9. Mike33

Mike33 Member

I’ve done something very similar and it still has overheated...
    Which direction does the water flow? Does the upper hose bring water from the engine into the radiator and the lower sends the “cooled” water back into the engine? That would explain why the lower hose isn’t as warm as the upper hose.
    I just can’t figure out what else would be causing the flow prob or the overheating.

10. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

sales associate
    The water pump pulls from the lower rad hose then into engine and then exits in the upper rad hose back in the rad.