1994 Chevy K1500 4 x 4 - won't shift past 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by 94ChevyTruckOwn, Apr 14, 2013.

1. 94ChevyTruckOwn

94ChevyTruckOwn Full Member

Ran codes and came up with Code 66. Replaced Shift 1-2 and Shift 3-4. Still won't shift past 2nd gear. No codes coming up. What else could be the problem?

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    How many miles? It still will not shift past second when solenoids were replaced? Did it do anything before not shifting past second? This model of tranny 4l60e is very known for blowing the 3-4 clutch pack and will not shift past second just revs. Only fix is a rebuild, most shops should be able to rebuilt for around 1800, or less if you remove the tranny.

3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    94-95 4.3L VIN Z.....93-95 4.3L VIN W.....or 94-95 5.7L VIN J
    Because on the vin j code 66 is ac pressure circuit...vin w,or z will be a trans code if 4.3 shift solenoid.
    You replaced so maybe a bad connection at harness i have a thread on this will post when i find how to check for wiring issues.
    Could be ignition switch related...could be a few things here might be in limp mode..does speedo and tach if equipped work right?

4. 94ChevyTruckOwn

94 Tranny problems

I think we have over 190,000 miles, unsure at this time. It still will not shift past 2nd gear. Gosh I hope it doesn't need to be rebuilt. Thanks for the feeback.

5. 94ChevyTruckOwn

My VIN only has a G, C E, K AND R. Repair manual shows code 66 is the shift solenoids. Hubby drives the truck more than I do so I don't know about the speedo and tach but I am going to assume it works as he says he travels at 40 MPH.

6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Do not think clutch pack..you are getting a code...will not get a code on clutch pack.
    You replaced solenoids ..a bad tps can cause ...but probably not it.
    I would look for a bad connection at the trans..bad ground...about the only way to find this is with a good scan tool.
    Could get under the truck start checking harness for breaks in wires..will lead to computer and intake on engine.
    C/K Applications

^ Connector pin tensions too loose.

^ Circuit 1694 shorted to ground at the pass-through connector area, where the wiring harness travels through the bulkhead (firewall).

^ 4WD harness shorted to ground on the flange area of the transfer case.

^ 4WD harness shorted to ground at the top of the bell housing and the engine block, at connector C-16O. Attached Images [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 94ChevyTruckOwn

Took truck to a "tranmission" total car care center (not my idea, the man decided to take it there). They waited 1 1/2 hours after the appointment time before they took it for a test drive. Told they would put it on the computer to see what was wrong. They did not. Said it needs $700 worth of "investigation" as it is an internal issue. Huh?

8. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Take it to another shop...ask around for best service rep. Most older trans shops will not have a good scanner and know how to use it.

9. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Need to find another better shop, a real good tranny shop would know by driving, and by having a right scanner to run test on the electronics of the tranny to see if something is wrong without driving the truck. Have you looked at the fluid, if the 3-4 pack is roasted will be burned dark almost black color and smell burnt if not its something else wire issue, or other parts have broke, but if parts broke it would make noise.

10. 94ChevyTruckOwn

Hopefully he takes my advice and tries a transmission shop near my work.