1997 GMC Sierra K1500 no fire

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by janicki84, Dec 29, 2017.

1. janicki84

janicki84 Member

I have a 1997 GMC Sierra K1500 that is not getting spark. I changed the distributor and was running a little rough. thought maybe it was a tooth off. re adjusted it and have it set on compression at Top Dead Center. It gets a weak spark from the coil. I have replaced the ICM, Coil, Distributor, and throttle positioning Sensor, Spider Injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulator and Thermostat. Before I go and put in my new Crank Positioning Sensor, is there any other possible reasons for this. I am not really looking to purchase a new ECM. is it possible there is a bad ground along the line? Please help. I have spent a grand since it went down.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    IIRC these have to be timed by a computer, it has to be hooked up to a computer to be timed and set right, these you can not adjust the or turn the distrib to get the timing spot on. You can get it real close enough to get to fire but its going to run like doodoo till its timed right by a computer.

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I found this out but it’s what dr wrote that got me thinking I hope it helps and thanks dr I learned something today.

MikeG likes this.
  4. janicki84

janicki84 Member

Are you positive? I have spoken with a few mechanics that have said with that year truck it should adjust itself once the engine heats up. I am no mechanic and know minimal stuff. timing is just something I never had to do or learn.

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Not 100% positive, just thinking back to when my cousion took his distrib out of his 96 s-10 and I had to fight to get it back in, I could not turn it it was keyed to one spot, one thing I had a problem with was on the harmonic balancer there were two timeing marks and I had to guess and of course my 50/50 guess was wrong so had to go back through again and redo it, though it did start and run it was not normal but did run.

6. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    Your vehicle has an electronic advancement inside the distributor. To properly set the ignition timing there is a plug that has to be separated. On the late 80s and early 90s it was on the firewall towards the passengers side. Brown or dark tan wire with a similar color plug. Follow the wiring harness from the distributor you can't miss it. If you leave this plug hooked up the engine will constantly try to adjust the timing and you will never get it set right. Once you get it set to 0° shut it off and hook the plug back up. The ecm will constantly adjust the timing sometimes up to 20° or more so that's y it looks off. After u get the timing set post what is happening

Edit for nay sayers "OBDII blah blah" yes but the distributor must be set right before you can even think about the electronics working right.

MikeG likes this.
  7. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

You might view the video above it can save you headaches.

8. janicki84

janicki84 Member

will this cause no spark to the plugs? I have weak spark from the coil, but nothing to the plugs

9. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    Double check the spark plug wire placement. I think you should check the ICM, I read that you replaced it but it could a bad one from the shelf. You can have them tested too.

10. janicki84

janicki84 Member

i have checked the Coil, ICM, and CKP with a test light. The light doesn't dim down for the Coil or ICM, the light flickers. On the CKP there is power to the power wire, but nothing to the ground or signal wire with he car just on or turning over. not positive but think the CKP crapped out.