2003 GMC 2500HD A/C

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by partsman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. partsman

partsman Full Member

So have had to have the A/C done here at work a few times, had a leak but didn't show up, turned out one was from the low pressure valve, so that would not show on machine as when hooked up it was sealed.

Anyway eventually I had my pretty new belt let go, so figured compressor that is side mounted must have seized, so left it for a while, now I go and put a belt on months back and everything turns, so now almost a year later I get it recharged at work as it shows being pretty empty and I figure now it will act up with full pressure and yet it didn't it is working fine and cooling very nicely, so seems I guess that after sitting what ever caused it to break the belt is gone, and with it obviously having a leak still which I am thinking is at the compressor, it allowed it to unlock the compressor and function again.

2. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

On my 1993 truck both my high side and low side fill valves were leaking the schrader valves were bad so you can change them and without letting all your Freon out they sell a tool just for that and I bought a leak detector on eBay I bought a used one the other ones were cheap looking from China oh I bought it on eBay.

On my old truck since I had converted it to 134a I finally just bought another retro kit and put both valves on new.

I just remembered another thing at one time I thought my compressor had locked up but it was the idler pulley that was going bad.

3. partsman

partsman Full Member

Well A/C quit again, so now they say I need a compressor a dryer , an orifice tube, and if there is no junk in the line I do not need to change the condenser, anyway, the guy also found 3 snapped off exhaust manifold bolt, needs four rotors and pads, and he found my coolant leak, this time it is not the pump gaskets, but the water pump itself, leaking out the weep hole, so as I have holidays coming up I had to order everything and now I got lots of work to do.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

doing the brakes, change the hoses also

5. partsman

partsman Full Member

Well every so often my A/C fires up and will run for a bit, so someone called it slugging, so I can use it, just have to wait till it rests for a while and it will go again, so obviously the compressor has started packing it in.

6. partsman

partsman Full Member

Well took time to do my jeep brakes, new rotors and pads and flushed the brake fluid, seemed good till a long drive and fronts starting smoking and I think rears started to also, so parked it and will now concentrate on doing my truck that I need soon for towing on upcoming holidays, hope it goes better than my jeep job.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

did you change the hoses and calipers?

8. partsman

partsman Full Member

Nope, thought it was all okay, as I used to drive it everyday, so now have ordered hoses and once I am finished getting truck ready for upcoming holidays I will get back at it.
    The truck turned out reall good, brakes are working really good, although I still want to take time to flush all the old fluid out before my trip.