2011 chevy silverado 5.3L has the malfunction lamp on/

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by mando1, Jan 9, 2019.

1. mando1

mando1 Full Member

Hello everyone here,sorry I have not been in the state for a few months and was not able to post.
    Anyway,I drove my truck to phoenix yesterday and on the way back,the malfunction lamp came on while driving. I don't have a code reader so I took the truck to autozone to read the codes and the stored code was indicating a bad oil pressure sender. My oil pressure gauge reads 20 when idling and 40 when going down the road.Its not erractic at all. When I got home,I checked the oil and it was a quart low. I put in the quart of oil and now at idle it reads about 30.According to the oil life remaining on oil change,it says 15% left.So,It is due for an oil change.
    What do you think would be the first thing to do? Do an oil change to see if that is the problem or change out the oil pressure sender unit? The truck has 148,000 miles. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Mando

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Yes. Do an oil change and see what happens.

mowfixer likes this.
  3. mando1

mando1 Full Member

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I have a question? Once the problem is fixed,will the check engine light go out by itself or do I have to clear the code? Just wondering.

4. mando1

mando1 Full Member

Ok, I went ahead and bought me a code reader and found a P0521 code on the scanner.This fault is a bad oil pressure sender unit.I was going to replace the sender but did some more research on this code and found out that there was a service bulletin # PIP4786 for this engine. It says that code P0521 can be a bad oil sender unit or a problem with the oil filter.
    So,I decided to change the oil and new filter and right after I started the engine up,the check engine light went off.
    It seems that the oil filter was partially plugged and not letting enough oil get to the oil pressure sender unit.
    Problem solved. Thanks Jkeaton for your help.