2012 Ram 1500, 4.7lt. oil change due?

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by sheepish, Jun 13, 2018.

1. sheepish

sheepish New Member

So I had purchased this truck last July, and within a week the oil change due indicator came on. I had it changed with conventional oil but since have been doing my own changes with full synthetic. The first synthetic oil change due indicator came on within 3000 miles. The last two i've done had no indicator warnings at 3000. My question is; does the system have a sensor to let you know when oil change is due? Is it based on a sensor for oil viscosity or does it just spit it out based on mileage? How long should the full synthetic last? Thanks!

2. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    It uses an algorithm that goes by the type of driving being done.

3. sheepish

sheepish New Member

Thats interesting, as I rarely break 65 mph where I live and when off road I only creep it. So it's at about 3300 since last syn oil change, level is good but is very black. I know that the synthetic has different properties with its viscosity so ya think it's safe to wait for prompt from computer to change? Thanks so much!

4. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    It will also depend on if the Oil Meter/ Counter (not sure of proper name) is being reset when oil change is being done.

*Example - the '16 F-150's we have at work get oil changes every 10k, the Oil Usage meter can be reset manually on the gauge cluster. It counts down from 100% - 0. If I have the oil changed say at 6k and the meter doesn't get reset, I will get an oil change due warning in other 4k. If it is reset it won't throw a warning until I near 10k.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

reset it after 3000 and change it next time it comes on

MikeG likes this.