4l80E tranny issue once again

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by eze, Jan 11, 2018.

1. eze

eze Full Member

Well here's my newest issue with this tranny it was working fine until I came toma stop and was on the phone for 5 minute after that had no foward or reverse I checked the fluid it was empty with no leaks anywhere filled with fluid still nothing shut it off and restarted 5 seconds later there was foward solid again but when I put it in reverse nothing shut it off again for 5 seconds and there it was full solid reverse back to drive nothing until I put down and restarted drives fine for about 4-5 minutes then starts to slip again shut down restart no problem for 4-5 minutes again problem happens hot or cold I did hear the tranny front pump wine a few times during this problem but it stopped so I'm kinda wondering where to go next with it dump the tranny and slap a used one or maybe try blowing out the cooler and changing the filter first since when it goes in its solid with no slipping at all its like its getting air bound or lack of fluid any one have some thoughts on what this could be I asked a few guys I know here and I got the your crazy look I get the craziest problems never anything simple ! We'll thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give me oh also I have looked into a used one thinly one I've been able to find is out of a 99 and my truck is a 93 from what I see the difference is in the linkage at the tranny I was thinking of just cutting my lockage off and training the linkage on the used tranny to the same length then welding my linkage to it any thoughts on the ?

2. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    If it was out of fluid, the Trans probably got smoked. Might be less of a headache to just swap it out

eze likes this.
  3. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    Cost of a full swap from automatic to manual is cheaper than having the automatic repaired.

San Antonio TX prices
    4L80E rebuild starting at $1,500

Full conversion from automatic to manual (includes rebuilt NV4500)
    $850

eze and MikeG like this.
  4. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    Won't work, computer system is different. Plugs are different. Shift points are different.

Check to make sure the linkage is shifting the transmission. Maybe it's a linkage problem.
    You never know the condition of a used transmission. Might work but night not.

eze and MikeG like this.
  5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Will need to find a tranny from 94 or older, think 94 was the cutoff of the odb systems and they changed stuff in 95 is when they went to obd2 systems, and your risking alot buying a used tranny unless you can drive it to make sure it shifts right and works, if not your flipping a coin. I have been down that road and got burned.

eze and kbrown11 like this.
  6. eze

eze Full Member

Thanks guys I hate used tranny to but don't have the time or money right now to have it down I can have a friend rebuild it for $1000 over the counter .problem is its a plow truck and I have several trucks down after the 18 inches we got last Thursday and we have more coming Tuesday normal i would just condemn the tranny and move on but I was the one driving it and I know it never slipped once before the problem started I went yesterday and brought it back to the yard and once again its fine for 4-5 minutes then starts to slip shut it off and its good again I even got on it with a heavy foot still no slipping in foward or reverse during the 4-5 minute time did 20 mph in reverse in seconds lol anyone think maybe filter and blowing out cooler lines may help at least get me thru this next storm ? And where are u getting a mv4500 for $800 I need one of those as well for my 92 2500 6.2 please let me know I have a bad bearing in mine at this point its done damage to the gears and a full rebuild is needed I priced tht parts 600 for everything gears ,shafts etc. For 800 and not have to do the work its well worth it since I don't have the time I'm working around the clock fixing trucks from driver error and stupid problems . anyone know anything about a bobcat 753 ?just have a stupid question on that .I'm used to working on payloaders and I have a 753 with a solenoid problem just wondering if they are 12 volt from the computer ?back to truck I still can't figure out how it was driving with no fluid! When I stopped for the phone call there wasn't a drop under it it still shows low on the stick but don't really want to add more fluid if I'm going to drop the pan anyone think it worth trying as a hail mary for Tuesday and also the 99 tranny has a different censors can I just swap mine into it ? Thanks again guys

kbrown11 likes this.
  7. eze

eze Full Member

Oh by the way the tranny I found that's wrong is also out of a 6.5 turbo as well I heard there's a way to make it a Manuel by changing the wiring around in the valve body where there's no need for a TCM anymore is that something that may work ? I will weld the linkage in the right place since I know that's different

kbrown11 likes this.
  8. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    I rebuilt the NV4500 myself, i did a thread about it in this forum. Master bearing kit, 1-2 syncro,3-4 syncro, reverse syncro, 5th syncro , 5th gear replacement, input shaft replacement. Transmission by it's self was about $500 for parts. Otherwise call Allstate gear in san antonio tx they have NV4500's rebuilt and ready for $900 ea The adventure begins

MikeG, kbrown11 and eze like this.
  9. eze

eze Full Member

Thanks smokybandit

10. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    is it possible for the dip stick tube to push up and get a false reading. The trans wasn't low and you over filled it causing foam ?

kbrown11 likes this.