700r4 problem.shifted perfect then a grind.Linkage?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by clarkster, Feb 8, 2011.

1. clarkster

clarkster Full Member

Just swapped a700r4 4x4 tranny in my 91 truck.Worked perfct for a hour then started a grind and slip.Threw her in park then back into OD and every thing is fine.Could the linage cause this problem?It looks worn.Is there a pro way to adjust it?Almost sounded like it was stuck in between gears or trying to go into 4x4.It has happened a couple of times now.Help!

2. Case 7230

Case 7230 Senior Member

Most important adjustment is the TV cable but you should have that done. The shift detents are on the internal linkage so if you can feel the shifter "locking" into each shift position it is probably OK. The usual way to adjust it is to disconnect the linkage at the trans., sweep the lever on the trans to the Park position and then shift two detents back to Neutral. Now adjust the linkage so that, with the shift lever in Neutral you can easily connect the linkage to the shift lever on the trans.
    However I would look towards the transfer case shifter. Make sure that it is fully going in to 2hi and also check that engine and trans mounts are good.
    Hopefully some of the experts will give an opinion.

3. clarkster

clarkster Full Member

TV cable is set.shifts perfect when no grind.I'll have to check the transfer case shifter.That may be the problem.Trying to get this done to get back to work.

4. Case 7230

Case 7230 Senior Member

Movement in the engine/transmission mounts may be causing the transfer case shift linkage to move or the linkage may not be allowing the transfer case to be fully in 2hi.
    Good luck.

5. clarkster

clarkster Full Member

thanks case!I beleive that was the problem.I shifted into 4x4 and then back to 2wd and no more problems so far.Didn't have a chance to change mounts because I was wrenching like a Japanese auto worker in the freezing cold.I'll get to Mamma's heated garage and take care of the rest.Nothing worse then having a tranny problem after replacing a tranny.This is one of the best forums out there!
    Thanks again.