77 Chevy K10 Need help with removing manual locking hubs / Rotors

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by MadMike, Oct 14, 2017.

1. MadMike

MadMike Full Member

Need help with removing manual locking hubs / Rotors on my truck. I have never seen one of those before. That i have on my truck right now. Hope there is someone out there. who ran into this kind of manual locking hubs. Take a look at picture to see what I'm talking about. Just need to know how to remove it. Any videos or pictures will be nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what i have done so far. I have remove this.

[​IMG]

and a big ring from here.

[​IMG]

smaller snap ring has been remove.

[​IMG]

I have try to remove this. But it will not come out and there is a spindle nut behind it. This is where i'm stuck at.

[​IMG]

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

i would continue to flood it with a good penetrating oil like kroil, and let it soak in, you will most likely need the big socket with the tits on the end for the retainer nut,

my thoughts are once the snap ring is off the center section should come out, i see dipple marks like from a punch, wonder if that section should turn off the threads, or simply be tapped on till it works loose

i believe it is a option from an old 4x4 supplier when everybody was converting the full time system

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

4. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    @MadMike you're definitely on the right track. From what I remember doing this on a rig they were a bi tch to get off. Soak it real good as Leo said and follow the vid that gmc posted and you'll be good to go. Wish I would have had that type of help back when I did it.

chevychase and gmctrucks like this.
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

the video is oem type, this is aftermarket...principles are similar

chevychase likes this.
  6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

You and I when I went from auto to manuel hubs on my Burb I had moons ago.

chevychase and MikeG like this.
  7. MadMike

MadMike Full Member

My setup on my truck are different and they very very old. The video you show me has the converting kit. I already know how take a part and put back together. Its just i don't know how to get this off. On this old setup.

8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    I did a search on youtube but pending what axle it is they are all different. Yours looks like OEM from chevy best I could say is try to find a repair manual for that year of truck and see what it says. I like getting the haynes repair manuals autozone sells them, they have a step by step with pictures. Might look in the manual and see if it looks like your or do a google search, look hard on youtube.

Your last picture looks like there is gears keeping it on the one video I watched about 43 min long was for a warn hub and the inside guts were different with how he took his off. He did show a snap ring, and before could pull the locking gears out was a lock ring hidden once he got that out it came out then took a speceial socket the get a couple more locking rings out.

I have never tried to work on locking hubs so best I can say and do alot of research look for a repair book on that truck and see what kind of axle or hubs it has and do searches for that axle or hub.

MikeG likes this.
  9. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Just a thought take the pics to a 4X4 shop I bet they will know good luck! GMC

4x4 Off Road Forum at Four Wheeler Network

Not taking nothing away from this forum I love hanging out with my buds here but maybe this forum can help you more since that’s all they do.

10. MadMike

MadMike Full Member

I have the repair manual. But the setup i have is not in there or youtube videos. I have already look. The setup they have in the video has the converting kit That's the new setup after Selectro hub went out of business. I have all new part to convert it to the new setup.