84 D150 no marker lights

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by Mopar Morgan, May 23, 2018.

1. Mopar Morgan

Mopar Morgan New Member

I've got an 84 D-150 short bed.
    The wiring is really clean. About a year ago I removed the dash cluster to replace the dash lights. (The cigar lighter doesn't work and neither does the radio.) Since then my marker lights/dash fuse keeps popping. Head lights, brake lights, turn lamps all work. But the fuse blades touch the contacts in the fuse block and blow a 20 amp fuse nearly instantly a 30 amp fuse pops after being driven for a while. I've got a new ground strap on the bed as one was broken. I've replaced the headlight switch within the last 3 years. The bed lights are clean and tight as they are new. I believe that the alternator is the original part and I'm wondering if the internal voltage regulator is gone. Any thoughts would be really helpful. Thanks.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    If the engine is off, and you try to insert a fuse fo rthe running lights does it still blow the fuse? If so you have a short to ground, basically you have a power wire touching bare metal somewhere and soon as the power is applied in that circut it pops the fuse its what its designed to do. Putting a bigger fuse in is asking for disaster it will heat up the wire making it hot melting the isulation and worse creating a fire, until you figure it out don't but a bigger fuse in it.

I know this is going to sound awful but you may need to go back and remove the dash cluster to see if a wire got pinched and is touching anything metal.

3. Mopar Morgan

Mopar Morgan New Member

4. Mopar Morgan

Mopar Morgan New Member

After nearly 24 hrs time and opening up the dash and entire front harness I found three factory joints that had become completly exposed to the environment under the hood. All three were marker light associated and damaged accompanied by corroion. I have torn most of my harness open at this point so I'm going to go through and check it all. I believe that the cleaning, removal and re-soldering with heat shrink of the damaged wire has made a difference/fixed the issue. As I was running the markers for a while after those repairs with no blown fuses. But since jumping in head first there have been a few other things found and are now fixed also. Does anyone have any good quality wiring schematics for this year of Dodge? I bought a Hanes and it is seriously lacking in size and wiring labels. Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Yea haynes books are ok for some repairs but trying to follow their wire diagrams are a nightmare the color of wires don't match up alot, I had issues with my truck in my sig chasing wire colors by going by the haynes book.

Look in this thread see if one of those will work, if nothing else might try a google search with your year make and model followed by wire diagram might find something that way. Or if you can get your hands a chilton repair book, sometimes local libraires have these on the shelf and some will let you make copies for a about 15 cents a page.