86'nissan z24i tbi cutting out.

Discussion in 'Nissan Truck Forum' started by Ding, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Ding

Ding Full Member

Howdy all.Just changed 1 coil,plug wires,cap,rotor,gas filter.The truck starts perfectly,idles perfectly but when I give it gas as in acceleration it cuts out and sometimes pops,backfires through the TB.I can sit in neutral,gun the pedal and it will raise the rpm and then cut out.It will do this every time I do this.It will cut out climbing a hill,not always but sometimes,with a backfire.It has power on level ground but when I give it gas it will cut out.It seems to get better when warmed up ,I can do 60 MPH with no problems.I also think it "lopes" maybe for lack of better words.Any ideas,I don't smell gas so figured the injector O rings must be OK.again howdy to all.

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    gmctrucks likes this.
  3. Ding

Ding Full Member

No converter on it CC,the computer says 4-4 on the code(mode 3),which is everything is okie dokie.This is what has me stumped.I am sure it would be something simple but I cannot figure it out.

4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    gmctrucks likes this.
  5. Ding

Ding Full Member

I was leaning towards the pressure regulator/fuel pump but the pump seems to be working fine unless the filter on it is clogged.Thank you CC at least I have a few ideas to ponder.thanks again....

6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Your welcome ,and welcome to the forum ..let us know of progress.

gmctrucks likes this.
  7. gramklg

gramklg New Member

did youfigure the problem out? I have the same problem, and have the same make and model of truck!

gmctrucks likes this.
  8. Ding

Ding Full Member

OK after much looking and I finally figured it out.Seems the A.B.valve(anti backfire valve) vacuum hose,both to the little tube and the larger one that goes to the bottom of the air filter container was OFF,I replaced all the vacuum lines with new stuff.It seems to have smoothed out the idle also.No surging,backfire or cutting out so far.I'd like to thank all who helped.Seems I failed to put things back the way they should be when checking "other" things so be sure to redo everything as it was prior.My bad.LOL.Hopefully this will be what I needed to not take things for granted.thank you all.

gmctrucks likes this.
  9. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Thanks for posting the fix Ding...will be good for others to search from.

gmctrucks likes this.
  10. Ding

Ding Full Member

Um hate to say it but the problem is still here as I thought the problem was the vacuum hoses being off and again there is NO CODES other than 44 which is all is good.Horse pucky.Yesterday it backfired and blew my muffler to pieces.Here's what happens.I have the engine running,in neutral and press the gas pedal like revving it up,quick pushes on the pedal (which I won't do anymore due to replacing mufflers).It climbs to a certain RPM,don't have a tach but figure it is around 2000-2500 rpm's then cuts out and it will do that every time I push the pedal.Sometimes it will backfire through the TBI,

It sounds to be coming from the TBI but with it blowing up my muffler I have druthers.I have replaced all the parts,plugs wires etc.took fuel pressure and it's at or around 37 PSi,timing seems on the button.Funny thing is I hook the timing light up and it will not work on the "intake #1 wire" but works on the number 1 exhaust wire,all new 8MM double insulated.New intake coil,new muffler.LOL.I love my dremel,every thing else failed but my dremel cut off wheel.I am stumped.I guess I will tear into the wiring harness where I hear they "spliced" the leads to the injectors,redo them with solder and heat shrink tubing then re-wrap them just cuzz and if that don't fix it get a TBI rebuild kit,pull the TBI off and rebuild the injectors,new fuel P regulator diaphram.I cannot think of much else to do at this point.Maybe the whatcha ma callit on the dizzy,throttle position sensor,?.EGR was cleaned and worked,replaced all vacuum hoses,glued my rear view mirror back on,new fuel filter,Used propane and carb cleaner in and around the TBI body area,no idle miss or reduction,changed oil and filter.I have learned a bunch being here,hours reading similar problems and some other things I find fascination and may do also and my thanks cannot be conveyed enough for all here who contribute on the site.Wish I could be more of a contributor but this thing has me stuck but I will.I need to clear my head and think about this problem.Sorry for the rambling,just finished putting the new muffler on.