86'nissan z24i tbi cutting out.

Discussion in 'Nissan Truck Forum' started by Ding, Dec 28, 2012.

1. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Should be at 12 bftdc california 10... but 10 close enough ...could be caused from carb. cleaner residue here is a spec sheet on a few things if you do not have.Hey i know all about spilling coffee on keyboard..can slow one down . I,am use to a desk top..have lap ,and book but can not get use to these. Easily done if you are wore out shine timing light on wrong vehicle lol
    Z24 Spec

2. Ding

Ding Full Member

Thanks for that chevy.I have the haynes manual and "nico" FSM for the 89'.And BOTH are putting the timing @10*.I'll be danged,it starts perfect,no ping driving etc..I looked at almost everything in and on that truck.I did notice what looks to be a 3" +or- "split" or hole in the 2in1 connector at the exhaust right in front of the O2 sensor.I heard somewhere that that split can cause a backfire.Gonna have that done up.I really think I have a leaky injector O rings also.Rebuild time.It's due anyway.If ya don't hear from me in the next week.I will be buried with my truck,finger stuck on injector hole.Have to pay extra for a double plot I guess.LOL

3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    That split/hole could cause problems . Truck has give you enough **** don,t want to be buried with it lol
    Gitter Done keep us updated Mr. ding .

gmctrucks likes this.
  4. Ding

Ding Full Member

I get to smell fuel a lot lately,like it is rich or raw fuel maybe.Seems to have started when I put the new O2 sensor in,at least that is what I think.It's bosch,about 30 bucks if I recall.Still no codes.I don't get it.The idle is irregular till it warms up,smell gas,random cutting out.Although, it hasn't since the atom bomb went off in my muffler and tranquilizer refill afterwards.It does try to stall out now and then NOW when I first start it up,yeah randomly of course.Might braze the split,if it is a split,sure looked like it when I looked.Have to get my doctors coat on and start probing.You know,ya never want to see codes in rigs,but for some reason I wish I could see at least one.NOT 44.

5. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    I have found out this..these 02 sensors are not oem will not work right. Also if any exhaust leak before the 02 not good .
    I have a dodge ..shoot me lol replaced 02 with a bosh..mine has a heater in the 02 to get it hotter quicker for emissions only.
    Still got the same code replaced with oem..of course cost plenty more ..but no more code/light. I wonder even if you can get a oem 02 for yours??
    But i don,t think a 02 would add enough fuel to flood ..?? Well i,am starved gotta eat. Later MR. Ding.

6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Yea i know what you mean on the code..if it would just quit whatever sensor ect. it is and get a code sure easier to diagnose.

7. Ding

Ding Full Member

hah,yeah the O2 is after the crack.Checked it today.also a couple of holes in the tube where it was welded to the exhaust and 2in1 connector.The cat is gone so it was modified.I'll fix it,get the holes filled up.Got this one from autozone part number 11051 OE non heated type.Thanks for all the help my friend.I am wondering if I should stop looking at the truck.Everytime I do I find something else.LOL.Used to be a time when I just put oil and gas in it.Gonna go get my TBI rebuild kit and some MAF spray.Thanks again bud.I had okie tacos today.

8. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    I have a 91 chevy z71..nice truck..over the years ..greased twice a year.. changed oil twice a year not driven much.
    Oiled all hinges..under coated..ect. ect. but years hurts things ..used it about three weeks ago ..brake lines blew.. master cylinder went ..then ac went out..mode actuator on heat system went bad...then one of the tail light went out corroded so bad bulb broke trying to get out.
    I said sheesh when things go they go in a row...guess i should run it more. Makes me wonder what is next.
    I went ahead and replaced all sensors ..coil...cap..rotor..plug wires ..least i,am good there lol
    Have extra tbi unit in the garage...guess i should go ahead change the pickup coil looks like the one posted in chevy forum the other day .
    Tacos ..how about ice cream ? Shew i eat to many brownies with coffee i,am ready to work lol

9. Ding

Ding Full Member

#29 Ding, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    well I did find this.pulled it out and plugged all the hoses up.Truck starts right up and idles just fine.Just worried if I need to replace it or leave it alone.air/hot air intake valve.Haven't ran the truck very far,just started it up and let it idle for a few.it has the reed and some filter,air filter I believe in it,well had I should say.I never noticed it cuzz the top was fine and looked normal.Should I replace this,it may have been the item causing my backfire through the exhaust and blew my muffler up from what I read on it..

[​IMG]

10. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Hey bubba been away. Is this the ab valve anti backfire valve? here is a diagram with valves ect. The job of the AB valve is to clear fuel mixture out of the air box when manifold gasses reverse flow under hard deceleration. Guess that would cause muffler to blow?
    [​IMG]