A/C Freon

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by gmctrucks, Nov 1, 2017.

1. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    @gmctrucks , I won't be any help here. I had a shop look at my A/C system and was told I had a leak at the valve. On my rig I can't replace the valves; it's a block that bolts to the compressor and a hose assembly. But guess what.......?

that wasn't the problem. o_O

gmctrucks likes this.
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

dont understand it myself....you need a vac which is what i thought i wrote

nope never needed to change one

3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

#13 gmctrucks, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    A2D6242E-27B1-44FC-B37E-6A0A55084F74.jpeg 24A0237D-C5F0-4611-8312-383AC90A19C7.jpeg Ok guys Advance auto parts had this kit it has different schrader valves so I got it going now I took a picture maybe some member here can use the part number.

I know for a fact my leak is at the schrader valve I sniffed it out and when taking off the cap it’s under pressure and on the high side my leak detector picked up a leak as well and it has oil around the fill valve so now I just might go down to McAllen to visit my dad and folks for Thanksgiving and use his vacuum pump to be done with it.

leolkfrm and MikeG like this.
  4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    No the harbor freight does have one that hooks to a air compressor, but have a big comperssor it takes alot of air to pull a deep vacuum, or harbor freight has the vac pumps as well, I bought one and a set of their gauges.

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  5. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I have never heard a vacuum pump that hooks up to a air compressor my dad always had one that was just a regular vacuum pump and at my old job to where QC had to check the MRE meals under water to see if the bags would leak and be water proof or leak proof in fact I miss that job I was a tech there where I had machines that would seal the plastic bags and we had a box sealer to where twelve meals or bags go in then they would go to a strapped on another machine and put on a wood pallet ready to ship out we even had four huge vacuum pumps that would pull vacuum from some aluminum foil bags that had crackers I’m sure some of you guys that where in the military know about those type of meals example freeze dry strawberries and peaches and so on.

6. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

sales associate
    I never did either till I saw it its alot cheaper and tried it but at the time I had a small 20 gallon compressor it couldn't pull a full vac on my system before it kicked on then never could keep up. It does work and will pull vacuum don't know how. But I can contest it needs alot of air and a big compressor to run it maybe a 60 gallon adn compressor with a high recovery rate. But I would look at the eletric vac pumps to me they are better and meant for pulling vacuum.

gmctrucks likes this.
  7. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    I got ahold of an old fridge compressor. Crimped off and soldered shut the low side line and rigged it up with a line tap , hook my gauges to it and I got a vacuum plump. Oh, you do need a cord on it.

8. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

sales associate
    Air Vacuum Pump with R134A and R12 Connectors air power vac pump

2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump kinda like the one I have I may have the 3cfm one its red and not black these are the newer models, but has worked great the few times I used it. The oil that is in it needs to be changed every so often the oil traps the moisture and takes a speacail vacuum pump oil, think auto stores carry it.

9. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

With my dad being 91 he had one like that I remember seeing it as a kid.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

the air one is a venturi system...air passe over a hole and creates a vac on the line, it will hold the gauge at a neg point

hatzie and gmctrucks like this.