caddy 4.1engine in 84 chevys10

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by chevys10caddy, Dec 10, 2006.

1. chevys10caddy

chevys10caddy Member

I am looking at retrofitting a cadillac 4.1 engine in my truck. my truck is a 84 exdended cab 4wd 4sp automatic overdrive with a 2.8 engine. the reasons i have thought about using the caddy are. 1,the caddy has the same belhousing as the 2.8.2, the caddy engine has aluminum block with steel sleeves. and is smaller than a sb chevy engine. I have an eye on a 1984 cadillac seville. which has a 4.1 engine with digital fuel injection or,tbi, i'm going to use the whole engine including the engine wire harness and computer. that way i will have v8 power with good mpg's that engine can be made into a 4.5 or 4.9. i'll have plenty of play room with engine mods latter on in order for the engine to work a person must have an engine from a rear wheel drive or conventional type aplication so that the starter will fit into the tranny. then all of the inside of the 4.5-4.9 will interchange like. heads, induction systems, and crank kits. i could see later down the road having tuned port fuel injection from a cadillac allante' on my truck engine. i was wondering if any one else has heard of doing such engine swaps. i'll keep forum posted on the progres.;)

2. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

County Environmental Health Inspector
    cant really help you but do have one question. why are you wanting to get rid of the TBI for tuned port??

3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I have heard that that engine gives ton's of problems place a 350 in your truck they sure sound nice with such a short wheelbase hold on.

4. nnunez

nnunez Senior Member

i'd stick to either a 350 or a 4.3 for that particular truck.

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. chevys10caddy

chevys10caddy Member

I don't see any problmes using the cadillac 4.1 engine using tbi or multi point fuel injection. you cant just use the engine with out using the engines computer thats all. its more difficult to swap a chevy 350 engine because the sbc is too wide. i would have to notch out the frame just to make the manifolds clear and i would have to use a chevy bell housing.

6. chevys10caddy

chevys10caddy Member

you don't thick that a cadillac will sound as burley as a chevy? my father has a cadillac allante it sounds like any other v8. we even out ran this guys 69 camaro with a sbc. no problem. i'll let you guys know how the project turns out. the cadillac engine weighs less than a sbc too.

7. Tractorman7788

Tractorman7788 New Member

i had a 1984 chevy s-10 extended cab 4x4 with the 2.8 and th700r4 transmission and i was going to use a 4.1 engine out of a 1984 cadillac seville with the old body style. that engine had the bellhousing pattern the same as a pontiac v8 engine. if you want to use the cadillac engine then use any 4.1 thru 4.9 from a fwd type cadillac. preferably one with the tbi system that way the bellhousing will match the 60* of the 2.8 engine, then i would use the wiring harness from an 87-90 s10 with tbi and ecm from the 4.3 s10 or you might be able to have the ecm from the s10 reflashed with the timing and fuel curve data for the cadillac ecm....

8. CoolOldTrucks

CoolOldTrucks Full Member

Interesting... definitely hasn't been done before... I kinda dig it...

WideTheF#%Open likes this.
  9. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    a few thing that come to mind, isn't the caddy starter on the left? so you will have to clearance the bellhousing. aluminum block steel heads have HG issues. also the bolt pattern is buick? on those years I thought.

JTWard likes this.
  10. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    two basic bolt patterns on bell housings in those yrs. The chevy and the GM. Pontiac , Buick, Olds , and Caddy are the same pattern .
    If your engine has the GM pattern the caddy should bolt up . Only starter clearance I can think of would be if the frame on drivers side is to close. I believe the comment about the 4.1 having a lot of issues is correct, unless it was a 4.0 if there was one, can't remember that far back. Heads/head gaskets comes to mind, maybe that was just a cooling issue.I don't believe weight will be a problem. If everything goes well with the engine itself and the electrical works out it could be a sweet setup. If you get it working be sure to post pictures and what you all had to do .