Cruise Control Misc. Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Overbored, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Overbored

Overbored New Member

Residential Design/Remodel
    First timer so I'll apologize in advance if what I'm looking for is already posted. I did look.
    Anyway, got a 94 K2500 5.7 4X4 230000 mi (on it's second Jasper rebuild, long story) with multiple cruise failures...sometimes.
    Works fine about 50% of the time, but for the other 50% it'll fail in different ways, like;
    1- Cruising just fine & it starts slowing down. Not a complete drop out, just gradually looses speed.
    2- Cruising just fine & I go down a hill steep enough that the cruise backs off the gas. Back on level road it never resumes the previous speed, just continues to slow down. This is a complete drop out. When I reset it, it goes into the gradual slow down thing.
    3- Cruising just fine & it slowly gains about two mph, & then maintains the new speed. If I touch the
    brake & then hit resume, it returns to the original speed, not the + 2. Then after awhile it goes +2 again.
    The resume switch doesn't have any effect on the slow down problems. I've tried turning the cruise switch off & back on, giving the brake pedal a quick jab, & raising the pedal with my foot. I can reset it to the speed I want, but it immediately begins to slow again. Once it starts any of these symptoms, nothing helps. Except tomorrow. Tomorrow always ( I think ) works just fine. So it seems like heat might be involved in at least part of this, but then it's made a couple of 400 mi trips without trouble. Don't want to throw parts at it, but I don't know where to start.
    I used to be able to fix this stuff back in the fifties.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    The cruise is electronically controlled, mine still works fine sometimes if I can get to set and stay sometimes it won't work, so I just never use it.

3. Overbored

Overbored New Member

#3 Overbored, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Hey Dirtrider. Thanks for the reply.
    By your handle I'm guessing you're a dirtbike rider. Back in the late 60s thru mid 80s, I rode a bunch. MX, hare scrambles, cross country, a few enduros....

Anyway, I'd really like to fix this thing. I'm on the highway a lot so it's used everyday. Also in town its usually set for a safe margin over the posted limit, so that keeps me out of trouble.

4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Well I did have a couple dirtbikes, a 4wheeler. I made my name because I love anything dirt racing from bikes to big trucks, if its in the dirt or mud I am watching it.

Should be able to follow the cruise cable to module, might give it a look make sure its ok, also give a check of wires under the dash and where they run up into the column to the blinker switch, they might be broke or wearing and shorting out if touching bare metal giving you fits.

5. hatzie

hatzie Full Member

The problem areas are usually the multifunction stalk switches on both of the cruise systems used from 1983-1994.
    The other problem area is the brake and clutch pedal switches. The brake lights and clutch interlock can work just fine when the cruise section of the switches is shot.

This is the GM electromotor cruise control textbook.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3e6k8njbzji6bcg/1988_1998_CK_Electro_Motor_Cruise_Control.pdf

This is the 1994 service manual folder...
    MediaFire 1994 GM CK Service Manual Folder

6. Overbored

Overbored New Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated thoughts & links.

M'function switch got replaced a few months ago for a different problem. Had the cruise problem before & after that.

I'll check out the links now, make a plan, & wait for the weather to warm a little before getting under the dash.