Diesel VS Gas

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by yt400pmd, Dec 18, 2018.

1. yt400pmd

yt400pmd New Member

REV B
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

i made this to compare any diesel vs gas vehicle
    could a few of you check this out, see if it makes sense
    there are links on the left that should be helpful

only the cells in yellow should be changed
    ANY suggestions are welcome

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Whats your point?

Nate4x4 likes this.
  3. yt400pmd

yt400pmd New Member

i am hoping this will help people determine the operating cost of a diesel vs gas truck. i was not able to find something like this, so i made it.
    there are different operating costs and maintenance and realizing the long term cost of both may help

4. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Flex fuel adds more to complicating things.

I just filled up my 2015 2500 6.0 gasser with E85 for $1.04 a gallon at Murphy station in Newton, IA. I typically average (for all miles) about 10 mpg on the stuff. That equates to about 10 cents a mile.

Diesel is going for $2.70 in my area. For a diesel equipped 3/4 ton to break even on the 10 cent a mile fuel cost, it would have to average (all miles) 27 mpg. Not going to happen anytime soon.

The price spreads have been such that my 2500 has been on E85 exclusively for almost 2 years. Even did a 2000 mile round trip to Wyoming last August and used E85 exclusively. Averaged about 13.8 mpg on E85 for the trip. At current price I filled with E85, that would equate to about 7.5 cents a mile fuel cost. A diesel 3/4 ton would have needed to average 34 mpg for the trip to break even. That wouldn't happen even with a stout tail wind.

5. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    @Copperhead but are you going the same distance per tank on E85 as you would on DinoFuel? I remember when E85 hit the pumps and the Hippies were pushing it down our throats that even though it was/ is cheaper per gallon you wouldn't get the same mileage range. Which in short meant you were/ are actually at the pump more therefore spending the more per month.

jkeaton likes this.
  6. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Obviously the mileage range on E85 is less. The point I was making is that it costs me less per mile for each mile. For me that is more important than how far I can go on a tank.

Let’s take 500 miles. On E85 pricing for me currently, it would cost me $50. That is based on average mpg of 10 mpg on E85. For highway average (13.8 mpg) on E85, that 500 miles would cost me roughly $38.00. Try seeing if any other fuel in a 3/4 ton pickup will get you 500 miles on $50.00 or $38 on highway.

To match that with a diesel 3/4 ton and current diesel price, it would have to get 37 mpg on highway to break even, and 28 mpg average locally. Sure the diesel will get one further on a tank full, but do it at almost twice the cost per mile at current fuel prices in my area.

MikeG likes this.