Fuel economy on my truck

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by James100, Jun 2, 2016.

1. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

does not protect....just adds additives...notice i mentioned it is on a diesel...and its an 03, before ultra low sulpher
    kinda like the old leaded fuel engines before unleaded

2. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

Hey James. Keep the truck tuned up; buy good fuel from reputable places (some places sell dirty or bad fuel), change your oil regularly, and keep your alignment and tires and suspension in good shape and you'll get the best mileage and performance your truck can possibly provide as a stock truck.

WideTheF#%Open and leolkfrm like this.
  3. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

#13 Copperhead, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    In all honesty, the best improvement to mpg with any vehicle, especially a truck, is how the operator drives it. It is darn hard to make anything with the aerodynamics of a brick and weight of twice that of a car get great mpg. But driving style can make it tolerable. If I can get 14 mpg average with 17-18 mpg on road trips from a Silverado 2500 4x4 with a 6.0L gas engine then anyone can do far better than that with a 1/2 ton. One does not have to drive 55 everywhere to get good economy. it is the launching, stopping, and constant changing cruise speed that effects fuel economy more. A good analogy is to drive the truck like there is an egg on the accelerator.

And ULSD doesn't mean anything. I have a 2000 Detroit Diesel in my semi that is a factory reman with 763,000 miles on it since the reman and all it has had is ULSD in it. And it regularly yanks around truck and load weights of about 70,000 lb and has averaged 8 mpg for it's life. Almost 25% better mpg than the trucking industry average. Again, it is all about driving style.

WideTheF#%Open likes this.
  4. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    #14 WideTheF#%Open, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Good replies in this thread, the best might very well be by Copperhead: driving style is certainly the key to long life in a vehicle, and to lower overall maintenance costs. As for additives, the gas additives are questioned by purists, but the OIL additives can definitely keep your rig running more smoothly, especially if you have an older model with heaps of mileage on it. I use oil additives in my 15-year-old Camry and that p.o.s. is still running strong, with 200,000+ miles (and counting) on the odometer. Like all vehicles I've ever owned, I'll run that car into the dirt before I buy another rig, LOL. When it eventually blows a head gasket or whatever, I'll kick it to the curb and buy a small pickup for hauling firewood. Going back to that driving style mentioned by Copperhead, THAT is where you'll reap the greatest rewards as far as truck longevity goes... smooth acceleration instead of constantly mashing on it right out the gate, backing out of it and rolling to a stop rather than racing toward the red light and slamming on the brakes, little things like that which will add years of life to your rig, 10-4? Kudos to the OP for asking about ways to lengthen vehicle life... funny as this may sound, it's good to occasionally run your rig at top speed down some deserted stretch of highway, letting the engine roar and blowing cr@p outta the exhaust system. Just be sure to do it in the middle of nowhere, with no traffic or speed cops present, otherwise you may earn a big ol' driving award, LOL. :eek:

P.S. Hey, Copperhead, what kinda rig is powered by that Detroit Diesel? Pete? KW? Bulldog? FreightShaker? 13-letter $h!t Spreader? Maybe an antique White GMC? LOL... :wtruck:

5. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    Meh, guess I'll never know... in the meantime, this wood stove is kickin' out some serious heat as I watch college ballgames on the 65" curved screen, LOL. Took a friend's advice and placed a pot o' water atop the stove, on one of those old school iron cooling racks, yeah? Supposedly, the evaporating water will help humidify the air inside my home, that way it won't get so dry. Feels pretty good with the stove cranked, like having a campfire inside my living room... every now and then, I step up and warm front & back the same way I used to do it on the beach, LOL. Later, the burrito fest, I'm still drinking beer, 10-4??? :btruck:

P.S. 40 degrees and dropping fast outside, but it feels like Tahiti inside my home... at least I had the presence of mind to swap sweats and thermal top for shorts and a tank top, otherwise I'd be sweatin' right now, LOL. :blush: