Fuel gauge 1993

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by gmctrucks, Apr 30, 2018.

1. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

From day one that I bought my truck new my gas gauge needle has always gone up way up above the F on the fuel gauge does anyone’s gauge do the same??

Now I just seen a video to where this guy said if your needle does like mine does the ground wire was left off I don’t know about that.
    Thanks! GMC

And if you want put down your miles and let us know how many fuel pumps you have put on and what brand was lasted longest?

Me Delphi from O’Reilly’s auto parts has done me right my factory went out I replaced it then my truck wouldn’t start for 5 minutes then it did so I replaced it again but I think what happen was I went around a super sharp curve and I was low on gas but I didn’t want to take a chance since I drive my truck on long trips.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Knock on wood my fuel pump was replaced not long after I got my truck, that was back in 2002 so about 2003 I think I replaced my fuel pump and was a cheap brand around 50 bucks, its still going strong knock wood double take.

gmctrucks likes this.
  3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

dr I was checking out some videos on cutting a hatch on my truck bed because if I’m in the middle nowhere it would be a easy fix or I would just have someone bring a fuel pump and I could change it out on the spot I carry tools in my truck just a thought.

4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    I have thought about that too weld on some hinges or tabs with some type of turn lock to keep the hatch secure. But I haven't really wanted to screw with it enough, plus my truck sits more then being driven, I drive about 50 miles a day to work and back it takes way to much gas to drive that far so I use our car, even still I get about 200 miles on a days run out of about 8 gallons so about 3 days or 4 days I drop 20 bucks in it, can't afford to fill it up, but if its full I get about 300 miles on a tank.

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    yes the ground wire has broken or is wrong on the tank making the high reading

6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

It must have been put on wrong on my truck from the factory because my gas needle goes up almost a 1/4 of a inch passed the full mark another thing I know my truck has a 25 gallon tank because I have put in almost that much when my needle is by empty another thing gas here by my house is $2.59 now the price per barrels went down yesterday but I bet they are going to take a long while before we get the better price on gas so let’s see the barrel price goes down 5/9/2017 it went down per barrel.

7. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    Gas here in Logan UT: $3.19 :(

8. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    i would bet that there is an issue with the sending unit from factory, or even the wrong sending unit/or gauge stepper in the cluster if it has done so since new off the lot.