"Got Chrome??? How about Armor???"

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by Railsplitter, Dec 20, 2010.

1. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    #581 007redneck, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Round #9 of pics:

IMG_8210.JPG IMG_8211.JPG IMG_8212.JPG IMG_8213.JPG IMG_8214.JPG IMG_8216.JPG IMG_8215.JPG IMG_8217.JPG IMG_8218.JPG IMG_8219.JPG

More shots of my gal Domino atop that skid, LOL. After I had lunch at the Fish Shack with Virgil and his wife, they returned to the chandlery and I took a few pics of the docks on this bee-yoo-ti-ful day... of course, they call the docks "floats" up here, LOL. Those empty slips in the last shot show that Westport is an active fishing village... those boats are out chasing fish, AYE??? I love Westport, it's a really cool little burg, and the seafood is INCREDIBLE!!! Downright goldurned DEEEEEE-LICIOUS!!! WOOHOO!!! :bow:

2. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    Round #10 of pics:

IMG_8220.JPG IMG_8221.JPG IMG_8222.JPG IMG_8223.JPG IMG_8224.JPG IMG_8226.JPG IMG_8228.JPG IMG_8229.JPG IMG_8230.JPG IMG_8231.JPG

Walked up the view tower to catch those latter pics... they show Westport, Grays Harbor and the ocean beyond the entrance channel. I'll be sailing out that channel and rounding the monster jetty to patrol the beach, more on that in a moment, AYE??? :rolleyes:

3. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    Round #11 of pics:

IMG_8232.JPG IMG_8233.JPG IMG_8234.JPG IMG_8235.JPG IMG_8236.JPG IMG_8237.JPG IMG_8238.JPG IMG_8240.JPG IMG_8241.JPG IMG_8242.JPG

More shots from the view tower, plus some shots of the mural across the street. Love the old photos in the windows of the meeting hall, forgive the glare & whatnot... the pic of the dude holding a fan of C-notes is classic, must be the jackpot or winnings from a fishing contest, LOL. Had to throw in a shot of the workhorse Chevy for my "Good Internet Friends" at Truckforum.Org, WOOHOO!!! Last two pics were taken on the way home, that's the entrance to Willapa Bay as opposed to Grays Harbor, AYE??? The bays or harbors aren't that far apart, that's why they're called "Twin Harbors" by locals. o_O

4. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    Round #12 of pics:

IMG_8243.JPG IMG_8244.JPG IMG_8245.JPG IMG_8246.JPG IMG_8247.JPG IMG_8248.JPG IMG_8249.JPG IMG_8251.JPG IMG_8252.JPG

How about those CLASSIC T-shirts I bought while playing the tourist in Westport?!?!? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Youse Star Wars fans will like the first shirt, it's friggin' HILARIOUS... the pirate shirt was also worth the lousy $15, YEAH?!?!? Holy Cow, this Monday Night Football game between the Rams & Chiefs is going off, highest-scoring Monday Night Football game EVER!!! :eek:

5. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    Final round o' pics, these are the charts I bought today at Englund Marine, before I ever met Virgil, macked at the Fish Shack, and bought the classic T-shirts. I'm gonna need to study these charts before I ever go sailing or fishing aboard the boat I buy here pronto, AYE??? But first things first, manana I go look at that '82 Honda XL250R which has been in a time capsule for a quarter century, that bike might be a damned good investment as an alternate form of transport, plus it'd be heller cool for riding these logging roads which lead to bad@$$ wilderness areas, 10-4??? Anyway, here are the charts, you can see my intended sailing route out of Westport, down the harbor entrance channel and round the jetty to patrol the beach... and you can also see the crazy navigational hazards in Willapa Bay, all those green-shaded areas are tidal flats (heller clamming), plus there are extensive oyster beds in the bay. The Willapa River is the cleanest river in Washington State, so those clams & oysters are DOWNRIGHT DELICIOUS, LOL. CHEERS!!! :bow:

IMG_8253.JPG
    IMG_8255.JPG
    IMG_8256.JPG
    IMG_8257.JPG
    IMG_8258.JPG
    IMG_8259.JPG
    IMG_8260.JPG
    IMG_8261.JPG

All those tidal flats are RICH with clams, while the oyster beds a little further from shore are HIGHLY PRODUCTIVE... this is a really cool place to live if ya like SEAFOOD, LOL. Don't forget the deep-sea fishing right offshore, with tuna, salmon, etc., and there's also the crabbing & shrimping, AYE??? So seafood lovers got it easy here, the dishes are spectacular... when I'm in my new home, some commercial fishermen I've met will bring BIG OL' SLAB FILLETS to BBQ while shooting pool and watching football, LOL. :eek:

Y'ALL BE GOOD & HANG LOOSE, HOPE YA ENJOYED THE OLD CONVERTIBLE RIGS AS MUCH AS I DID, "10-DASH-FO'???" :rolleyes:

6. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    College football today, including the Apple Cup, LOL... got a fridge full of leftovers & alcoholic beverages, plenty o' rum left on the kitchen counter, WOOHOO!!! Same drill manana, pro ball on Sunday & Monday... works for me!!! Friend Doug is supposed to drive down this weekend, don't know whether he's driving down today or tomorrow... haven't seen him in a bit, last time was in the field in the leaky "Chinese Revenge" tent, LOL. Dang, that tent was ridiculous, it went back to WallyWorld the next day... the replacement tent worked well, I'll put up those tents & canopies again as I'm pouring the slab & working on my building. Build a fire ring right off and burn the rest of the wood I saved from Bruceport... smoke out some of the spiders in those nearby trees, LOL. :eek:

Heard a good tip from Bugsy the Chinook Sea Lion Chaser when I showed him the property: I'm gonna make like the "Treehouse Masters" and build a primo little deck between these two big trees overlooking the Willapa, the setting is perfect!!! Won't be far from my home either, just a few steps away, should be a cool setup once we're done... building that tree fort deck will be fun, I'm gonna model it after a tree fort my pop built in VA when I was young, it had two hatches, one on each end, the first for access via ladder and the second an escape hatch with a stout line hanging down through it. It was a cool tree fort, I can still remember it even though I was only 4 or 5 at the time. The fort was railed too for safety purposes, something I'd like to do again for any visitors with kids, AYE??? o_O

I'M OFF TO MY HUSKERS-HAWKEYES GAME, SHOULD BE A GOOD ONE... I LIKE BOTH TEAMS, SO I DON'T CARE WHO WINS, LET THE BEST TEAM PREVAIL!!! :cool:

TURKEY PLATE TOPPED WITH FRIED EGGS COMING UP FOR BREAKFAST, CALL IT HEALTH FOOD, WOOHOO!!! I'M ALREADY WORKING ON A DRINK MADE OF PINEAPPLE CIDER, OJ w/ MANGO, AND BARBADOS RUM... :rolleyes:

WITH THE CIDER AND OJ/MANGO COMBO, THIS CONCOCTION COUNTS AS "FRUIT JUICE" PRIOR TO BREAKFAST, LOL. :party:

7. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    Pics from yesterday's recon of Cape Disappointment... starting with a couple shots of Willapa Bay taken en route to the cape. Primo weather, clear but crisp, and the ocean surf was BIG, as usual the cheesy Canon cam made it look pinner. Ranger at Cape D told me the surf report had the waves pegged at 9', which made sense since the larger waves were well overhead. Nice form to many of those waves too, beautiful peaks with lefts & rights peeling away in each direction... I was impressed with how clean some waves were, an unexpected surprise during my visit. The camera doesn't do 'em justice, I'm standing on a headland high above sea level and the waves are farther away than they appear in the photos. Otherwise, a very pleasant excursion in a veritable paradise, well worth the relatively short and scenic drive from South Bend. Here we go:

IMG_8435.JPG IMG_8436.JPG IMG_8437.JPG IMG_8438.JPG IMG_8439.JPG IMG_8440.JPG IMG_8441.JPG IMG_8442.JPG IMG_8443.JPG IMG_8444.JPG

That was an old WWII bunker situated along the trail... I remember visiting the bunkers on Otay Mountain & Pt. Loma in San Diego, guess the military had bunkers clear up the coast. o_O

8. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    Round #2 of pics:

IMG_8445.JPG IMG_8446.JPG IMG_8447.JPG IMG_8448.JPG IMG_8449.JPG IMG_8450.JPG IMG_8451.JPG IMG_8452.JPG IMG_8453.JPG IMG_8454.JPG

That log was big, I'm nearly 6' tall and it came up to my chest, LOL. Surf wasn't quite as clean under the North Head Lighthouse, since the water piles up at the base of the headland, but it was still impressive... and again, larger than it appears in these photos. :eek:

9. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    Round #3 of pics:

IMG_8455.JPG IMG_8456.JPG IMG_8457.JPG IMG_8458.JPG IMG_8459.JPG IMG_8460.JPG IMG_8461.JPG IMG_8462.JPG IMG_8463.JPG

At certain times of the year, guests can spend the night in those old lighthouse quarters or barracks... I just liked the style of architecture, functional in this climate. That inlet was on the trail to the original lighthouse, the first light built on Cape Disappointment, it was deemed to be too far south for marine safety so the North Head Lighthouse was added... look at all that wood washed ashore in that inlet, easily enough to build a cabin, LOL. Seventh shot shows the mouth of the mighty Columbia River, more on that in a moment. Last pic shows the Visitor Center atop cliffs, as seen from the original light. :cool:

10. 007redneck

007redneck Full Member

Ax Murderer
    #590 007redneck, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Fourth & final round of pics:

IMG_8465.JPG IMG_8466.JPG IMG_8467.JPG IMG_8468.JPG IMG_8470.JPG IMG_8471.JPG IMG_8472.JPG IMG_8473.JPG

The views of the mouth of the Columbia River were awesome, that is one impressive location, and it can be extremely hazardous to mariners under certain conditions (wind, tide, storm activity & other factors). No way the cheesy Canon cam could pick it up, but there was a maelstrom off the tip of the North Jetty yesterday, a seething cauldron of huge waves slamming into each other from various directions... it was insane, no place to be while aboard small craft, though I'd like to sail just outside the impact zone farther north. Shots #3 & 4 are pretty cool, looking across the Columbia into Oregon... that's a smaller jetty further round the Cape, North Jetty is shown in the final photo. North Jetty is long, but that South Jetty on the Oregon side is incredible, a real feat of engineering which stretches far out into the ocean, must be 2 or 3 miles long, hard to tell from the WA side, LOL. Hey, check it out, the original light had 15" guns during the Civil War, would've taken a bad@$$ CSA skipper to round Cape Horn and sail all the way up to the mouth of the Columbia to stir up trouble, LOL. No Panama Canal in those days, Boyz!!! Had to make the voyage the hard way, AYE??? :rolleyes:

Edit: Holy Mackerel!!! I just Googled South Jetty and one entry said it's 4.5 miles long, another said 6.5 miles, LOL. Not sure just how long that sumb!tch actually is, I'd have to consult a nautical chart to get the real answer... but it's one long jetty, I'll tell ya that much. One Google entry said that all combined in length, North Jetty, South Jetty & Jetty A total 9.7 miles... South Jetty alone supposedly took 27 years to build, with a railroad constructed solely to haul rocks and other materials out there, LOL. Dang, the Corps of Engineers did a job of work on those jetties... wonder how long it would take Mr. C to build 'em, dragging one boulder at a time, LOL. :confused: