Hard Start After Engine Warmed Up

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by maxwell42, Mar 11, 2018.

1. maxwell42

maxwell42 New Member

Hi guys. New to this forum. Need expert advice or Divine intervention. I have a 97 K2500 Z71 with 5.7, 4X4 ,auto.
    Engine reworked to 383 cubes, 10.5 compression pistons, roller rockers with stock cam,. ported and polished heads with little over 6,000 miles. Stopped running on hiway as if ignition cut off. Replaced fuel pump, MF fuel injectors, complete new distributor with CPS, plugs and plug wires. The engine runs fine. Once it gets hot [190] it seems as if starter is dragging really bad upon restarts. Have replaced starter three times. Have retarded distributor one cog. Cranks over perfect until hot. Seems as if timing is to far advanced, hence retarding distributor one cog. Starters are supposed to be HD type. Do I have to much compression or could the E I computer be defective and be advancing the spark to much? I'm lost on this one. Help.

2. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    Do you have a heat shield on your starter. If the starter gets hot it will drag.

gmctrucks likes this.
  3. maxwell42

maxwell42 New Member

Could be the problem. I do have a makeshift heat shield but headers are really close to starter. Thank you so much Kennyray.
    I will improve the heat shield. I'll let you know how it works out.

gmctrucks likes this.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

take a close look at your battery cables, might need to upgrade them so starter has enough amps to turn it over

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. maxwell42

maxwell42 New Member

Thank you Leolkfrm for your info. The battery cables are original 1997 so that's a real possibility. I have a very heavy duty battery installed but have not checked cables. Will do that and improve the heat shield. Thanks guys.

6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Kenny has a great point what about wrapping your headers and if it helps some them wrap your starter and Mr. Leo has a good point as well look at the video it happened to my truck as well.

I would put your timing at TDC then make sure the timing is set right remember you have to disconnect the wire by the firewall and good luck!
    Take care! GMC

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

i would consider replacing them with heavier cables

8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    IIRC 96 and newer takes a computer to time these engines, moving the distrib one tooth is not going to really do anything but play havoc with the computer timing. The distribs are keyed to drop in a certain unmoveable spot. I had to restab my cousions 96 s-10 when he decided to just yank out the distrib to do some work without first setting it number one tdc, it took me 3 tries to stab it to get it to even start.

I would also check the power ground cables for the battery and battery post make sure they are clean, any ressitance you are not getting the full battery power to the starter, its takes alot of power to turn the starter more so since you bumped up the compression from factory, it may be fighting trying to start it with the higher compression when it hot and the metal expands makeing the parts fit tighter.

My 94 does this when its hot more so in the summer if I shut it off go into the store come out a couple minutes later it really drags to the point you think the battery is dead.

9. maxwell42

maxwell42 New Member

Sorry it has taken so long to reply to all the great advice. Had to go up the mountain and no internet there. Thanks to Kennyray, leolkfrm, gmctrucks, and dirtrider7306. I will apply all this good advice untill I get it right. Owned this truck since new. Trying to make it new again. Will post my success.