Help, I'm ignorant!

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by SKane, Dec 30, 2017.

1. SKane

SKane New Member

Hello,

I've been scouring the internet for help and answers to my questions, hopefully someone here can help me! There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there!

I am not mechanically inclined, at all. I know next to nothing about vehicles. It's embarrassing.

Currently I'm shopping for a used truck. Ideally, I want to stick to the $10-15k price range. I see a large variety of trucks available in that area for my price range, but I don't know a good truck from a bad one (if there is a bad one?).

I work, a lot. I do shift work, so I don't do a lot of driving. On average, I would say I probably drive about 50 miles a week, approximately 2600 miles a year. That's being liberal.

My wife and I recently bought our first house and I find myself in need of a pickup for hauling supplies from the local home improvement store and hauling stuff away. I also live in a part of the country where it is often imperative to have a four wheel drive vehicle during the winter months or at least a vehicle with some clearance.

My main question is about mileage on used pickups. I see a lot of used trucks in my price range that have 180k+ miles. That seems like extremely high mileage to me, but I've always driven cars and again, am quite ignorant when it comes to motor vehicles.

Are trucks still reliable with mileage that high? Can I still expect a fair amount of usage from a truck like that? It would mainly be used to get to and from work (approx. 30 miles a week), grocery runs and the occasional hauling of supplies for house/yard projects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Depends on year make and model, all have had their issues or problems. I bought my 94 chevy over 15 years ago used as is it had 135k on it now has 250k. I have put a motor in it old one was just worn out, went through a couple transmissions just due to the first rebuild did no thold very well was poorly rebuilt. It has its issues leaks and what not. I don't mine much at all really not hardly drive it just the fact takes more gas in it to drive to work 60 miles a day. But overall its a good truck and when I need it I have it.

I am partial to GM always have been. To me they are easier to work on, parts easeir and can be cheaper to find. Also keep in mind a 4x4 is not going to be easy on gas you have more rotating mass that takes fuel to turn it. There is the carfax you can have to check to see if there have been problems with the truck or if its been in a wreck or been salvaged if its been reported to carfax.

You can take the truck to good trusting place to have them checked over for a price, they will crawl over it and check everything out to make sure there is no issues leaks, and all that good stuff. Far as mileage thats kinda the going deal in todays vehicles alot are mileage, as long as it was taken care of, maintained properly you can more mileage out of it.

MikeG likes this.
  3. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    I bought a '96 Chevy about 8 years ago. It had 164K+ on it at the time and is currently approaching 205K. As of now Nothing major has been replaced other than the normal wear and tear parts. It is needing some TLC here and there but 'ol Blue has yet to leave me stranded!