Need advice buying my first truck

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by bradleyheathhays, Jun 23, 2018.

1. bradleyheathhays

#1 bradleyheathhays, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    I'm looking to start a construction business for myself and family and right now deciding on a work truck. I'd like a full size 4x4 crew cab w/ under 130k miles for around $6,000. Although I'm open to F-150s and Silverados the market seems to be steering me to the Dodge Ram 1500s as they seem to be a little less expensive.

I'll be working out of the truck all day and it'll need it to stay running pretty much all day with the a/c blowing, not an easy thing to ask from a vehicle. With my $6k price range, cars.com, autotrader.com, etc. is showing Rams in about the 2000-2006 year range.

So I'm writing in to ask you guys about Rams in this year range. Are there any I should look out for or any I should avoid? Are there any with durable features where I should consider upping my price range a little?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

time to rethink your needs, why do you need it running with ac all day?

gmctrucks, WideTheF#%Open and MikeG like this.
  3. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    I just finished truck shopping and even seeing rigs at around $10k were pretty rough. I was finding Rams with the mileage you want, but the interiors were pretty trashed. I also found GM and Turds that were in the same shape but had 150k+ for the same money. If that's the price range you need to stay at, you may be disappointed with the condition of the trucks you find. I upped my price range to $15k to see what was out there, and I still wound up paying a couple grand more than that. Granted I was willing to do that only because it was the perfect truck to fit my family, it has low mileage on it, and it's over all condition the decision was pretty much a no brainer.

This is what I just got for $17,3xx (including tax,& fees). Might give you more to think about.......?
    I Pulled The Trigger

gmctrucks and WideTheF#%Open like this.
  4. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    Turds... LOL. Dang, MikeG, where's the love??? :confused:

OP, ol' MikeG has a point, you're not gonna find much at that price without significant wear & tear. And why run the A/C all day? Is a pet going to be in the rig? Many big trucks have APUs or Auxiliary Power Units (small generators) to run A/C while the engine is off... RVs too, I suppose. Someone has to make a small unit suitable for a crew cab. Long-term idling isn't good for a truck, even a big truck where the driver can set it to high idle to help protect the engine (which costs more in fuel, I might add). :(

You live anywhere near Smokey Bandit? Some of those trucks he's been working on would make fine work trucks, maybe he would sell one to you. Otherwise, you'd have to be pretty lucky to find exceptional value at $6K, and it darned sure wouldn't be showroom either. Not trying to rain on your parade here, just being realistic... maybe trucks are a bit cheaper where you live, compared to where MikeG lives, that's a factor to consider. Otherwise, it might be worth traveling a bit to pick one up. :woot:

Just my $.02, if I were working with a figure like $6K, I'd probably set my priorities in an order like this: strong motor, working lights, good rubber, acceptable interior, condition of body & paint. Nobody wants to meet prospective clients in a beater truck that's totally thrashed, I get that part, maybe you could meet the clients in another vehicle, then show up at each jobsite with materials in the work truck. Most normal folks realize that a work truck serves a purpose, it isn't supposed to look glamorous. :eek:

OKAY, THAT'S IT, I'LL SHUT UP NOW AND GO BACK TO DRINKING MY COLD BEER, LOL... :rolleyes:

gmctrucks, leolkfrm and MikeG like this.
  5. bradleyheathhays

Thanks yall really appreciate the honest advice. Trying to juggle getting a decent machine that, right, looks good enough for clients and gets the job done etc...not easy.

The goal is to get a vehicle that can transport people, hold paint spray equipment + barrels and trail two moving painters doing horse fences here in KY. It'll need to run all the time because the operation keeps moving, and my 45 yo azz is gonna need a cool spot in the middle of 95 deg weather. I have more to spend but I'm reluctant to let it go until my jobs are a little more certain. Just starting things up so it's sort of touch and go for the time being. Right now I'm getting more connected with the right people so hopefully before long I'll be able to justify spending that kind of money. Sure glad you guys are here for me though!

Real nice truck Mike btw congrats!

gmctrucks and MikeG like this.
  6. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    Thank you Sir!

gmctrucks likes this.
  7. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    @bradleyheathhays, worse case you might have some luck finding a Diesel truck at that price range. I know chit is pretty expensive in my area (part of the reason why I drove over 100 miles to Idaho to buy my rig). But I did see 2 '06 Mega Cabs that were sitting around $16,000 near me. Of course the mileage was up there, but diesels don't break in until 300k....LOL!

Here's basically same rig as mine. 1 year newer with over 100k more, for $7k less......o_O
    2007 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 4WD SLT

gmctrucks likes this.
  8. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    Wait, there is one other option... buy an absolute beater truck and bolt some JATO units to it, then rig the sprayers so they'll run constantly with the nozzles to starboard. Hit the switches and "Voila!!!" You'll get the spraying done in record time and you'll stay cool while doing it, 10-4??? Best of all, the clients will be so impressed that they'll pay ya double, LOL. Here's an instructional video:

NOW, IF FAT ALBERT CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT, I HAVE THE UTMOST FAITH IN YA... WHO NEEDS A/C ANYWAY, THAT'S FOR SIDEWALK SISSIES, LOL. :confused:

gmctrucks likes this.
  9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

sounds like a job for a mid size farm tractor and custom wagon, haul it all on a 20 trailer behind a decent truck!

gmctrucks likes this.
  10. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

How about a nice work van to carry your workers and buy a trailer for your equipment just to start with then buy a nicer truck.