Need help with doing a rebuild 1994 Silverado 1500 350

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by KnockinTurtle, May 17, 2017.

1. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

Thanks for the advice, i got to work on getting $ now, yay......

I heard getting the car to normal temp. then taking the exhaust bolts are made it alot easier, seen it done on youtube

2. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

I will check into the timing chain , Wasnt planning on taking it off but it probably is a good idea, then i got to get a timing light too.

"extra coin" thats a good one! Im working on getting just "coin" have not seen extra before lol

3. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

Hello everyone,
    just wanted to give an update, I have the top tore down, just waiting on pulley puller to come in mail to take the rest apart.
    When I took intake off I seen oil/coolant under it, normal? I see the mixed fluids going down the block , I assume I will need to do a complete flush when i get it back together? or is there another method?

There was some lash as well, I took off all the lifters , Give them a good cleaning before I put them back in.

[​IMG]

4. mowfixer

mowfixer Full Member

Retired
    Good job. Your making progress

Coolant should not go anywhere oil goes but removing intake can cause coolant to spill and show up in the valley. You will know more once heads are off. Show us a picture of head gaskets once you get it torn down further.

Guess you had fun with power steering pump pully. Hope you used the puller that you can rent from auto stores. If you poud ot pry that pully off or on you most likely will damage power steering pump

Keep up the great work and motor looks pretty clean inside. Better than mine did for sure.

5. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

Thanks for the feedback, really helps.
    I got the passenger side head off,

I dont know how to "read" it , looks wise, what do you think? Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mowfixer

mowfixer Full Member

Retired
    From what I can see that head gasket looks OK but if I remember the cylinders with low compression were on the other side.

7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Will get some coolant in the motor when tearing down unless you get it all drained out which is tough anyway, taking intake unless all the coolant drained out of the intake there will be some and will get some from the head coming off. I used alot of paper towels to soak up whats in the cylinders and dried it out the best I could then after its back together did a oil change ran it a little did another oil change and took off down the road.

Cylinders look good from what I can see, the head looks ok those valves look awful white like its been hot or been burning coolant will does this will also turn the plugs white or look clean.

Kinda wonder too now if maybe the valves were adjusted too tight would leave the valve open a tad when it should be fully closed will give you a low compression reading as well.

8. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

Finally got the other head off, and sure enough its broken between the cylinders,
    The mech, said I had burnt valves but I dont see any "holes" in the valves which was causing the spark knocking noise under heavy acceleration.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it was running very rich before, perhaps that is why they are white? Could it be caused by the bad gasket? and dumping too much fuel trying to comp. for water in the intake
    Spark plugs looks old but ok, I think. I'm no expert

9. mowfixer

mowfixer Full Member

Retired
    Same place mine was broken and looks just like my head gasket. Usually when you see two cylinders side by side with almost the same low reading what you found is usual. Will make engine run very bad.

As for white valves I am not too concerned as those are exhaust valves and run quite hot and I think mine looked like that too and I had no water leakes into cylinders. Take heads to a machine shop and they will tell you exactly whats going on.

Also if you look at gasket around water passages you can see where it has been erroded away, usually from not frequent enough coolant changes and flush.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

#20 leolkfrm, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    front cyl looks damaged?...pull a lifter and check the lobes on cam, they look lower than they should be