Need help with doing a rebuild 1994 Silverado 1500 350

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by KnockinTurtle, May 17, 2017.

1. mowfixer

mowfixer Full Member

Retired
    One of the best signs of a worn motor that might need major rebuild is hw much ridge you have at the top of the cylinders. If you can borrow a micrometer and measure the bore diameter and them the ridge diameter you will see how much wear there is on the cylinders. Specs for cylinder diameter are available online and if cylinders are worn too much rebuilding the top end may only force compression past the rings into the crankcase not to mention oil consumption.

If the engine has high miles (around 200K) you might also want to look at rod bearings if your removing the pan. I have seen many of those motors knocking due to worn rod bearings.

2. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

Back again, I am in the process of putting everything back together will upload pics soon, All good so far.
    I have been doing research on setting the rockers, I have flat lifters not rollers.
    When I got all the lifters I could not push in on it with my finger and compress it, after alot of work I was able to take them all apart and clean and lube them and now they all spring smoothly now when i push them in with my finger. The lifters seemed to be in good shape with no wear marks seen.

It seems I may have to buy a feeler gage to set the rocker lash? or is that only for roller lifters? some advice on this would be helpful.

Thanks

3. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

Hello ,
    I got it all back together, and she started up, I rotated the distributor and it can idle but i can hear a ticking sound or clacking , I am not sure but I do not think its normal? i did not want to test drive it as i didnt want to possibly break anything, I have made a video , if you can check it out maybe you can spot something?

I did notice that when i first start the truck the temp gauge goes all the way to the right then comes back, i dont recall seeing that before but not sure if its a big deal. I was only able to fit 3.5 gals on coolant, but book says it needs 1 more gal im guessing i never let it warm up so the fluid is not filling up the engine?? i dont know.

help... thank you

the video on youtube link

4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Its hard to tell but over the loud howling or whining from something or could be the way it recorded. But the ticking are you sure all exhaust bolts are tight, a exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold can sound like a ticking, also the valves set right, one or a couple may be loose giveing a ticking sound, how long has been ran since been back together? Maybe a lifter is not fully oh whats the word extended or full of oil, these lifters take oil pressure to lift them or fill them, if not from what I have heard can go flat or collapse but I am not 100% on that one.

Do a double check on the exhaust, after its completely cooled off, very CAREFULLY start it then very fast feel around the exhaust manifold for hot air coming out, the manifolds will heat up very fast may take two people to do it.

Also a good old timers trick, get a looonngg screwdriver, put the handle end on one ear the other end what you want to hear, will fidn that ticking noise, say for example put it on the valve cover, then on your ear if its ticking under the cover you will hear it.

Had a coworker that had a burb that developed a tick, thhought it was in the motor, turned out to be on the exhaust was leaking making it sound like a bad lifter.

5. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

Thanks for getting back. I tool off driver valve cover and found 1 really loose rocker
    Tighten to 0lash . noise went down by 50% I'm going to check pass side today. Only had a total run time of maybe 10-15min tops. The rest of the lifters felt stuff I could not push them down at all.

The tapping noise is slight now with a random louder tink tink.....tink!.....tink....tink tink.... Maybe a rocker is loose on drivers I'll check and make a video to after work
    I feel its almost there. Just more tuning.

6. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Could have another one loose or more of them, there is a order to set the valves I don't remember what it is I know if you set it at TDC there are certain ones you tighten, then I think give the crank a 180 degree turn then go do the rest, maybe somebody has the order or you may even google it.

Or go to autozone and get one of those haynes repair books it has it in there, those are good books to have, they do step by step of testing parts, and have step by step on repairs with pictures, my book has helped me many times and helped learn the in and out of my truck working on it. It even has torque specs for bolts.

kbrown11 likes this.
  7. mowfixer

mowfixer Full Member

Retired
    #37 mowfixer, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    We always uase the redneck valve adjust method. Cut some cardboard (see Picture) to cut down on oil splashing. Start engine and back off the adjustment with engine running until lifter starts clicking and then back until it just stops. The go an addition 1/2 to 3/4 turn and move to next one. I have tried procedure to do them with engine not running but always get better adjustment with redneck method.

You will get some hot oil on you but thats the fun of working on your own car. LOL

Attached Files:

kbrown11 likes this.
  8. Yallrun

Yallrun Full Member

System Administrator
    #38 Yallrun, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017

9. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    There is nothing redneck about setting the valves that way Mowerfixer. Is the way the GM manual back in the 50s and 60s told you how to set them. I usually only went 1/2 turn almost never 3/4. They make clips to put on the top of the rocker to keep the oil from squirting all over. A neat trick is to take an old valve cover cut the center out so you can get at the rocker bolts . Bolt that in place while adjusting the lifters. You want the engine at operating temp when adjusting them.