New to forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Razor02097, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Razor02097

Razor02097 New Member

Hello all

Currently driving a Jeep and saving up for my first truck. I am hoping to get advice for when I'm ready to buy. I already know I want a full size domestic truck (GM, Ford, or Dodge) with probably a gas engine since I do short commutes and don't tow often. However with so many choices out there...I'm hoping to get advice on what to avoid? Certain years (range of years), engines, trans, etc. to avoid. Does a list like that exist?

Appreciate any help you can give! Even if it is a finger point in the right direction.

Cheers

-Dan

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    Chevys in teh 88-98 range were good trucks, lots of parts will interchange, 88-mid 95 every thing interchanges minus the tranny in the 95 was a one off year. 96-98 everything will interchange, 88-98 everything will interchange minus body parts from 96 to 98. These trucks are easy to find and are everywhere, parts are easy to find, and 88-95 are failry easy to work on the TBI injection, 96-98 had the spider injection systems and had issues but a upgrade made them a whole new different engine.

Best thing to do is a google search, type in year make model problems and issue will get a lot of results and reviews.

Dodges are ok but are not easy on gas they run good all but pass a gas station. Fords I am not fond of, the triton motors had known issues of blowing the spark plugs right out of the heads or not being able to even change them, make sure if its a truck that has a triton it has the recall done to it for the spark plug issue.

gmctrucks likes this.
  3. Razor02097

Razor02097 New Member

Thank you for your reply dirtrider73068! All of it is great information

The Ford triton engine issue I had no idea. I remember certain years of Dodge ram had transmission issues so I'm leary about automatic rams. I am leaning toward something 10 years or newer though. I plan on keeping the truck for a good long time. I'll have to keep roaming around here to see what else I can find.

Cheers

-Dan

4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    The issue with the triton was the threads for the plug hole were not enough threads made to hold the plugs in under pressure and heat, same goes for trying to change same said plugs, the spark plugs would protrude into the combustion chamber and carbon build up would prevent them from coming out unless it strips the threads with it, and IIRC the heads on the triton were alum to add to the nightmare.

I have a 03 bonneville thats been a good car minor issue but nothing something I can do, 10 years back you should be good, but check on the triton engine issue think it was with in the last 5 years they had this issue.

My dad has I think a 08 chevy with the 5.3 adn loves it nothing out of the normal stuff no major issues or problems.

5. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    Coastal Washington in the PNW, call it PARADISE!
    DR's advice is good, welcome to the forum from an old OTR hand, or "somewhat" old... ain't on my deathbed yet, though we ALL got it comin', 10-4??? :btruck:

gmctrucks likes this.
  6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Welcome and I agree DR advise is great.

7. john rizzo

john rizzo New Member

car complaint.com will help with problems with the years and makes I use it to determine if I buy or not