spark plug question

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by budynabuick, Nov 2, 2009.

1. budynabuick

budynabuick New Member

Hello my name is keith and this site is GREAT so hello to all. My father in law has a 94 silverado with a 5.7. He gave me plugs to put in it and i assumed they were the correct ones but after putting them in I discovered he had given me plugs for a 94 5.0. I have not driven the truck since replacing with the wrong ones but i did start it and it ran great at idle and while throttling it. my question is would it be alright to drive the truck with these 5.0 plugs in the truck? Will it make that much of a difference using these plugs that are for the 5.0 as opposed to the ones for the 5.7? My father in law (now 78) has always been a mopar man but he fell in love with this chevy. everyone was stunned that he wanted the chevy as opposed to the dodges he has driven all his life. BTW, the plugs look identical other than the numbers. we wil be having many more questions as we progress in my father in laws new found love for the venerable chevy P.S. I myself have always been a chevy man. Thank you for any help.

Keith

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

check and see if they are the same, if not change them, a wrong heat range could damage the engine, too long of an electrode could damage the piston

3. BernieB

BernieB Full Member

Both engines use the same plug (RV15YC4 if I remember correctly) so you're good to go.

4. jremington59

jremington59 Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing as Bernie. They use the same plug.

5. budynabuick

budynabuick New Member

Thanks very much. I showed my father in law this web site and he now wants to get a computer to get in all the fun. another question? he also purchased a thermostat for the 5.0 would that fit the 5.7 as well? It is a 180. I'm sure we will have many more questions in the future. Thanks again

Keith

6. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

County Environmental Health Inspector
    it should fit but i dont think that a 180 was a stock thermostat for that truck. i was thinking it was a 190 or 195. contrary to what makes sense, cooler is not always better. that engine was designed to run at a certain temperature and it does not make it to that in an adequate amount of time, hence the later opening higher temp thermostat, than it will not run at its full potential. for a good burn, you want the block hot and the fuel cold along with entering air.

7. BernieB

BernieB Full Member

Yup, same thermostat also. However, the book calls for a 195, not a 180.

8. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

County Environmental Health Inspector
    beat ya to it bernie.

9. BernieB

BernieB Full Member

Yeah, but I knew it was a 195 and didn't have to guess. :p

10. Crmzendrgone

Crmzendrgone Senior Member

Mechanic. Mr. MOM
    Ok senese this thread is about plugs and there was an earlier argument over Brands of plugs. What has the most of the guys on here felt works best. I replaced my plugs with ACDelco they have seemed to have last for 50,000+- I know I need to replace them but not sure I want to use that brand again haven't decided. Also the gap I know the truck says whatever it says but has anyone ever played around with the gap to see?? I found that my 305 ran well at .030 or was it .035 one or the other but it was not the factory setting.

Now for the Tstat you say 195 is that year specific or a good rule of thumb for all 350s TBIs