Transmission problems

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by gmctrucks, Dec 25, 2015.

1. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Well guys my 1993 4L60e has no forward gears yesterday I was going to buy some Egg Nog and when my Trans hit second gear I heard a pop sound and it wouldn't go forward so I pulled into the Wendys parking lot and tried all the forward gears and no dice the only gear I have is reverse so I called my son and lucky I was close to my house and I followed him in reverse he was my headlights well when I backed into my driveway I checked my Trans fluid and it feels like sand but it's metal so I'm thinking the Trans messed up again what a shame I have less than 5k miles on it but it has been years on my truck and the shop that did the rebuilt is 320 miles from me at the town I grew up at so I'm just going to have buy one around here so my Christmas was a sad one good thing I didn't go out of town it could of happened far from my house oh let me add the wife's SUV is in the body shop some lady ran into it her insurance is paying for repairs but she's out of town till the second of next year.

Do you guys know what years of Trans fit my 1993 F/S GMC truck it has a 5.7 engine in it and it's a two wheel drive with again a 4L60e Trans??
    Thanks! GMC :(

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Not sure backwards, but anything newer than a 94 won't work.

4 people like this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

The 93 and the 94 year transmissions are in one category. The 92 is the 4L60 with the cable type of shift range system, 93 was the first 4L60E as was the 94.
    The 95s went to a separate shift controller and is an aminal of its own. I think it may even be different that the 96 models but, it might be the same with the 97 being something different.
    Here, check this thread. It has a lot of information in it about the 4L60E transmixers.
    Click the CLICK

4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

OH, also, I am not sure but, there may be a cable adapter to install the 95 year transmissions into the 93s.

3 people like this.
  5. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    the 95 is a one yr trans. everything the same except for the valve body, think you can convert them by switching that. used transmissions are a **** shoot

6. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    When you put in drive and try to go does do anything noise wise like gears grinding or clunking? Could be the sunshell broke or the plantery gears gave up. Most common is the sunshell where the input shaft goes in cracks and breaks unkess you have the upgraded beast sunshell. Either way sounds like a another rebuild or replacement I would highly advise against putting in a used tranny let alone a used 4l60e its a high risk have being where you are now again in short order. Unless you can test and drive and truely verify you buying a good working recently rebuilt used tranny. Honestly don't even consider going used rebuild it or buy a new rebuilt from parts house or a good tranny shop.

7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    95 nope transition year obd11 95 is a only trans. Do you have manual low gears? click here #9 post

3 people like this.
  8. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

Man, I would call the folks who did your trans. Maybe they will come and pick it up - or maybe your insurance company will foot the tow/hauling bill?

2 people like this.
  9. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

#9 gmctrucks, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Thanks guys for the info.

Hey guys now that I'm getting a rebuilt Trans could I use synthetic fluid instead of just regular fluid might it not run as good because it's not regular fluid?

I know it's going to cost more per quart but now that it's going to have no fluid in Trans or Convertor I'm thinking of trying this to see if it last longer even though this Trans should have lasted way longer I just want more life maybe.

Let me add my Sunshell was upgraded already

2 people like this.
  10. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

sales associate
    I asked my builder this back when mine was rebuilt in simple terms he said save my money just put the old fashion tranny fluid in it and change it about every 20k miles. The 4l60e no matter the fluid will fail when it wants unless good quality parts are used and the upgrades are done. Its been 3 or 4 years since mine was rebuilt and I don't have a light foot and its been fine ever since and thats just old fashion tranny fluid.

4 people like this.