Truck Pulls Left when Braking

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by b.hayz1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. b.hayz1

b.hayz1 Full Member

I recently did a brake job on my '90 1500 and replaced everything but the rotors. Everything is in working order except my truck pulls to the left when I brake at a moderate speed and the faster I go the harder it pulls. I'm sure it's an adjustment that I need to do, but I don't know which one...

2. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

Warped rotor

3. wild bill

wild bill Senior Member

brakes

yeah check the rotor's for run out and the possibility exists for a caliper sticking .

4. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

Did you replace front and rear brakes at the same time?
    Do you have rear drums?

Once in a while drum brakes can and will drag due to an improper adjustment. If you have not adjusted the rear brakes properly, you will create a pull.
    Now, what else could possibly go wrong? Well you could have installed the brake shoes incorrectly and you could have two short shoes and two long shoes on the same side. This too will cause a terrible pull.
    Even just a low tire can cause this especially in the front.

Many variables here, but there has to be more to this story.
    Can you explain in detail exactly what you replaced and what type brakes you have.

5. davbell22602

My 72 F100 brake shoes were the same on both sides in length on the rear.

6. b.hayz1

b.hayz1 Full Member

I replaced the brake pads and shoes and all wheel cylinders/hardware. I don't think there was any error in the placement of the brakes and other than bleeding the system I don't see where there is an adjustment that can be made. Tire psi is all good. I was thinking the rotors too, but wasn't sure why it would just pull to the left since I didn't replace or machine any of them and when I pulled them off, they looked okay but I didn't check for any run out.

7. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

You absolutely 100% sure that the friction material was exactly the same length? Sure you did not have a mixed set too?
    Drum brakes are designed with a leading shoe and trailing shoe. The trailing shoe is longer in material than the leading shoe.
    It is made like this to both promote friction while maintaining drive ability when the brakes are applied.
    This friction between the shoe and drum surface is only made at a given point.
    Long explanation, but the design is sound and requires one pad to be a different length than the other.
    In the past some old timers felt that replacing leading shoes with trailing shoes was the "thing" to do, but understanding the principles of the drum brake tells us otherwise.
    You could very well have had similar shoes and they may have appeared o be similar but this was not the intent when your 9 inch ford rear axle was designed.

8. davbell22602

They were duralast. I didnt see anything different about the shoes. I even had 2-3 mechanics check the new shoes also.They said they were the same. One even said there supposed to be different.

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

sounds like caliper siezure or thick brake fluid, do the calipers float freely?

10. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

forklifts and equip tech
    i would drive it a block or two and then see if one rotor is hotter than the other. as leo stated it could be a sticking caliper. when doing rears i always adjust liners out until i can barely feel resistance when putting drums back on. then i just let the self adjusters take over. has always worked for me.